09 ford flex mercon lv? Ok or not enough lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 09 ford flex with the ford/gm 6f transmission. It calls for mercon Low viscosity. I always do fluid changes whenever I get a new/used car. This stuff seems like water. I know they run this to get more MPG but I always dumped a bottle of Lucas in to keep viscosity up in previous cars and it seemed to help alot lubricating in terms of metal pulp showing up. Just curious, Should I dump a bottle in when I do a fluid change or should I even use the mercon LV? and use SP? And is dexron 6 the same as mercon lv? I only ask cause at $9 a quart I find that price to be insane considering im gonna need 3 gallons to do a proper flush. Just been on mopar for awhile and lost touch with ford for the past 10 years.

8150020_mxl_773775_pri_larg.jpg

My 2010 Fusion has the same trans in it - the 6F35 - and I have run the Valvoline MaxLife stuff in it for about 70,000 miles without issue. Even the UOAs on the fluid I've drained out looked great. Shift quality has been excellent, too.

If you're worried, add a bottle of Lubegard Red.

Is it Mercon Lv equal and not V or SP? I only ask cause there is considerable differences between atf +3 and atf +4 when I ran mopar in terms of shudder. I ran ATf +4 in a older ultradrive which called for atf +3 and it thanked me for it big time. But my question is this stuff is super thin. To much for me to think thats its sole purpose is for the EPA and not the actual life of the trans. Also been watching videos of the fluid looking burnt in 10k miles. but they explain its normal.

Last edited:
i happily run genuine motorcraft mercon lv in my 6f35 in my escape and it's happy. and no additives, ever.

i happily run genuine motorcraft mercon lv in my 6f35 in my escape and it's happy. and no additives, ever.

I changed my 2017 Fusion and used MC Mercon LV at 30K and plan to do a D-F every 30K after that.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
8150020_mxl_773775_pri_larg.jpg

My 2010 Fusion has the same trans in it - the 6F35 - and I have run the Valvoline MaxLife stuff in it for about 70,000 miles without issue. Even the UOAs on the fluid I've drained out looked great. Shift quality has been excellent, too.

If you're worried, add a bottle of Lubegard Red.

01.gif

Maxlife will work fine in your Flex with no problems
smile.gif

Many aftermarket ATF's are licensed for both Dexron VI and Mercon LV. Walmart's house brand ST synthetic LV AFT is licensed for both. Castrol's synthetic ATF is also formally approved by both Ford and GM. A few times a year, the parts stores put the Castrol ATF on sale for $5/qt.

And since Ford and GM worked together on that transmission, and GM calls fort Dexron VI, there is no problem with using Dexron VI in that transmission
thumbsup2.gif

The good news is that it has a drain plug, so changing it should be easy
smile.gif

Incredible Synthetic qualities. But again why does it look burnt after 10-15k miles in the 6F? I know fords always ran hot on there autos. There mercon V blooded Ax** trans axles turned brown very quick and had failed stuck shift solenoids quite bad for me anyway. Never dumped any lubrication modifier like lucas in them. The mopars I did. And it seemed to really help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input will look at max life. If anybody can comment on a lubrication modifier would be greatly appreciated, I don't have a ASE license but have just learned over the years. I find it stupid to run liquid with almost no viscosity in your transmission other than a new attempt for the manufacture to meet EPA standards. The clutch packs are like brake pads and will wear to the point of needing replaced/rebuilt unless they are protected. The black in the fluid and the catch magnet is the clutch pack wearing away and burnt fluid is a result of them being exposed to that high temp. But thanks for the input Everyone.

Originally Posted By: jeremy34756
Incredible Synthetic qualities. But again why does it look burnt after 10-15k miles in the 6F? I know fords always ran hot on there autos.

I can answer this.

The 6F35 trans is pretty hard on trans fluid, just by its nature. That's not to say it's badly designed, just that it's a hard-working trans, which is also why it requires a solid fluid like the LV that is specced for it.

In addition, Mercon LV tends to darken early on, which I suspect is due to its additives doing their job. I should point out, however, that this is simply darkening, not burning. There's a very distinct difference here. Darkened Mercon LV is still perfectly functional and still doing its job.

I have yet to do a drain & fill on my 6F35 (done regularly every 25,000 - 30,000 miles) where the drained fluid was not a dark purple-ish color, but it has also never smelled burnt. UOAs performed on this drained fluid have always shown that it is still in decent condition. Realistically, I could probably go 40k miles per drain/fill, but I do it at ~30k because it is the prevailing opinion among those in the know, and because it keeps the trans clearer of contamination.

Never dumped any lubrication modifier like lucas in them. The mopars I did. And it seemed to really help.

Personally, I steer clear of any Lucas products made to go into engines and transmissions.. In terms of Trans additives, LubeGard Red is pretty highly regarded on here.. You might give it a try in the future.

I have a 2017 Explorer that has that 6F35 transmission. Thank goodness it's a piece of cake to do a drain and fill. I bought a 12 qt case of Motorcraft Mercon LV from Rock Auto for $60 delivered. Being an*l and a longtime member of BITOG I did a drain and fill at 12,200 miles
grin.gif
. I'll do another at 25,000 miles on the odo and then every 25,000 miles after that. The Mercon LV fluid turns very dark early but they say that does not indicate fluid breakdown, unless it hasn't been changed in a while. It's the nature of the fluid and transmission. Though doing a drain and fill every 25-30,000 miles is a good idea with these transmissions, especially the earlier year ones, which could be a bit wonky. If your Flex is an all wheel drive model I'd be real concerned with the fluid or lack of "fluid" in the PTU, especially the early models. They were claimed to have "lifetime fills", NOT! The Motorcraft 75W-140 could turn solid and not lubricate in less than 50,000 miles
crazy2.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
It is in fact a AWD. And I believe it has the 6F50 transmission. What can you recommend on the PTU? I hear they dont hold enough oil. I been a schaffers oil person myself but any suggestion is appreciated. I will check out the additive listed above.

I have the 6F35 with AWD in both my Fusion and my wife's Escape. I just change the fluids on the PTUs at 45k. Being in the northeast and experiencing hot summers and cold winters, I think changing it regularly at shorter OCIs is key.

I also drain and fill the transmission fluid at either 15k or 3 years with Motorcraft LV. I drive a lot and my wife drives very little. UOAs always come back clean with plenty of life left in the oil. I change it due to the many issues/rebuilds that the other second generation Fusion owners in the Fusion forums have to go through.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I have a 2017 Explorer that has that 6F35 transmission. Thank goodness it's a piece of cake to do a drain and fill. I bought a 12 qt case of Motorcraft Mercon LV from Rock Auto for $60 delivered. Being an*l and a longtime member of BITOG I did a drain and fill at 12,200 miles
grin.gif
. I'll do another at 25,000 miles on the odo and then every 25,000 miles after that. The Mercon LV fluid turns very dark early but they say that does not indicate fluid breakdown, unless it hasn't been changed in a while. It's the nature of the fluid and transmission. Though doing a drain and fill every 25-30,000 miles is a good idea with these transmissions, especially the earlier year ones, which could be a bit wonky. If your Flex is an all wheel drive model I'd be real concerned with the fluid or lack of "fluid" in the PTU, especially the early models. They were claimed to have "lifetime fills", NOT! The Motorcraft 75W-140 could turn solid and not lubricate in less than 50,000 miles
crazy2.gif

Whimsey

My 2017 is a 6M35 trans and I would think your trans is a 6M35 trans as well. Check it out and let us know for sure. Thanks

Last edited:
It is in fact a AWD. And I believe it has the 6F50 transmission. What can you recommend on the PTU? I hear they dont hold enough oil. I been a schaffers oil person myself but any suggestion is appreciated. I will check out the additive listed above.

Schaeffers offers fine quality lubricants. What you need is a really high quality synthetic 75W-140 gear oil for the PTU. Due to the high heat and small volume the PTU is brutal on the gear oil and destroys the Motorcraft synthetic 75W-140 in a short time period it seems. Personally I'm going to use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 "Synthetic Extreme Pressure Lubricant" and see how it goes. I think RedLine has a 75W-140 gear oil that would work well in this PTU also. If you like Schaeffers see what type of 75W-140 gear oil they offer for extreme conditions, which this PTU is.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: tig1

My 2017 is a 6M35 trans and I would think your trans is a 6M35 trans as well. Check it out and let us know for sure. Thanks

Per the Explorer owner's manual my transmission is a 6F35. Your 6M35 might be something new and unique to the new Fusions. I never heard of this Ford transmission until you brought it up. I wonder what the difference is between the M & F 635 transmissions are?

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: tig1

Per the Explorer owner's manual my transmission is a 6F35. Your 6M35 might be something new and unique to the new Fusions. I never heard of this Ford transmission until you brought it up. I wonder what the difference is between the M & F 635 transmissions are?

Whimsey

No listing for a 6M35 anywhere in the shop or parts manual. Only 6F35 and 6F50 for a 2017 or 2018 Fusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back