Trying to get Traction Belt on John Deere LX280

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this LX280 and am changing all the belts. I am having a very difficult time changing the traction belt the goes from the Transmission to the Clutch pulley. There is something I am doing wrong. Any tips from you Pros? I can't get the belt to go over the fan pulley and the clutch pulley even when I bypass the 2 idlers????
I'm cut up and bleeding and of all things it's starting to sprinkle just enough rain to P--S me off but not enough to force me inside. Can you feel my pain? Tools everywhere, nuts and sockets all over the driveway and garage door opening, I don't know what that spring goes to and my impact battery just died. My wife just finished lecturing me again about how difficult it is to get grease out of my jeans and asking me again when am I ever gonna just think before I ruin another pair of jeans.

Do I need to remove the body and gas tank to get to the transmission pulley? I'm afraid to ask..

AM I gonna have to remove the clutch pulley? I tried to for 10 minutes but it seems to be stuck on.

I have youtubed. I have googled.

NOOOOOOOO.....

That Vo87cj??d electric PTO is stuck on like, well, you get the picture. I wonder how I remove it? I'll watch your video. thanks!

Sometimes you have to realize its time to walk away for the day, and come back another day with a fresh outlook on your project. Your frustrated, its time...Walk, do some youtube watchin, and have some relaxation, diner, have a good evening.

The whole PTO should not be too difficult to unbolt, you just have to be able to get under there! I have had to do it also.

KneeGrinder,

Getting the bolt out was easy. The clutch is stuck on the shaft. Other people have said I shouldn't have to remove the clutch to get the belt on???

The seat pan on my LX188 comes off easily. Don’t know about your LX280 but my 188 hydro pulley tilts to facilitate belt replacement. You shouldn’t have to pull the PTO off. Take your seat pan off and everything is right in front of you.

I didn't remove the pulley, I believe I unbolted the complete PTO and lowered it to get the belt on. It was 5-6 years ago, busted a drive belt and didn't know exactly how it was supposed to be, can be frustrating.

I finally got it. Loosened the Deck panel just enough to prop up the rear of it with a 2x6 over the gas tank portion . Put the belt over the top of the clutch pulley on the pulley shaft above the actual pulley. Then reaching from under the gas tank I got belt on the traction pulley with the fans. Then I was able to slide the belt down over the clutch pulley while turning it. All is well. And I didn't lose any nuts.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I finally got it. Loosened the Deck panel just enough to prop up the rear of it with a 2x6 over the gas tank portion . Put the belt over the top of the clutch pulley on the pulley shaft above the actual pulley. Then reaching from under the gas tank I got belt on the traction pulley with the fans. Then I was able to slide the belt down over the clutch pulley while turning it. All is well. And I didn't lose any nuts.
Glad to know you got it.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back