2016 Caravelle 19 EBO Bowrider - Trailer w/o brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at a boat for this season and found one for sale locally.

The boat is 1800 lbs dry, trailer id imagine is 800.

NY requires brakes if laden is over 3k and unladen over 1000. So this just barely passes.

Im just surprised the factory trailer doesnt cone with brakes. Fortunately the launch is 8 miles from my house and mostly flat. Id be towing with an 03 Dakota, 4.7 manual 4x4.

Should i install aftermarket brakes, or will it not be noticeable on such a short drive? Id like to take it to ofher lakes in the area, and those have hills.

I am curious as well because I have always noticed in owners manuals how the auto trans always has a higher towing capacity, and I have always wondered why. I have never towed anything with a manual trans.

I would argue that if you are within the laws you are probably cool, as I assume the law would be conservative with their requirements. Perhaps optimized brake pads just for the confidence boost.

Semi Metallic pads and good safe following distances will get you where you need to go.

Imagine all the boats and travel trailers etc that were towed in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s with drum brakes. Alot of them towed with station wagons full of kids.

I've pulled my single axle trailer with no brakes when it weighed closed to 3,500 pounds with the Trailblazer. It stopped ok, not great but certainly enough.

Buy it and determine yourself if it stops ok. If you aren't towing long distances or in mountains i wouldn't worry.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother. Trucks are built with towing in mind. Given the trailer weight, you have to realize the limitations though-- The truck's brakes are probably only good for light to moderate breaking over a long distance. And perhaps one good panic stop before the brakes get too hot. That means no mountain passes, or other severe duty driving. Only you'll know for sure when you drive the truck. I wouldn't equip the trailer with brakes until then. I've driven trucks with not enough brake hauling loaded trailers, and you'll immediately know if that's the case within a couple miles. It's what you're comfortable with for your driving conditions. Do you want to do 35mph the whole way giving LOTS of distance, or 65 with erratic drivers all around you? You wont know which you'll be facing until you actually drive the truck with said trailer.

I had an 18' Bayliner (very similar size and weight) and a trailer with no brakes. I towed it no problem with a Saturn Vue. I think you will be fine. Just take it slow and drive smart.

Check out a 19" Crownline instead. Even if you have to go a few years older to get the price down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back