Prestone specific coolants for Toyota, Honda, Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prestone now offers specific coolants for Toyota, Honda, and European cars. Walmart has it for $6.97 for a *half* gallon of 50/50 premix
crazy2.gif

The Honda formula was out of stock, but both the Toyota and European versions both contain 2-EHA which is the secret poison behind Dexcool/Deathcool

Of course, they still carry the Zerex Asian in both blue and pink, $11.97 for a gallon of 50/50 premix. The Zerex blue is what I'll use the next time I have to change the coolant in a Honda that calls for Type 2 if I can't get Pentofrost A3 at a good price.

I trust Zerex for coolant more than I trust Prestone.

Better prices than dealer genuine.

I wonder if the Preston Honda is blue colored? Since the Honda CR-V comes with blue coolant

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Thanks for the 2-EHA warning!
I hate Prestone coolants.

Yep....it's one brand I won't buy.

I'm surprised that the Prestone Toyota and Honda coolants contain 2-EHA since Toyota and Honda have come out against using coolants that contain it. Why would I pay extra for this product when I can get a full gallon of AMAM (which also contains 2-EHA) for nearly the same price? I'd rather use PGL which doesn't contain 2-EHA.

Most independent shops that do coolant flushes and drain and fills just have a big drum of one size fits all, universal, global coolant from Valvoline or Peak. Peak global works just fine and is about 1/4 the price of stealership coolant. Nothing wrong with using Peak global or Zerox or Prestone universal antifreeze.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Question for you all - 07 Accord, picked it up this winter. Is using Peak Global a 'no-no' ?

Peak Global is fine. It does not contain 2-EHA
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mjk
Question for you all - 07 Accord, picked it up this winter. Is using Peak Global a 'no-no' ?
Most independent shops that do coolant flushes and drain and fills just have a big drum of one size fits all, universal, global coolant from Valvoline or Peak. Peak global works just fine and is about 1/4 the price of stealership coolant. Nothing wrong with using Peak global or Zerox or Prestone universal antifreeze.

We do not use a all makes coolant. Most of our jobs are on old copper radiators and those coolants don't play well with copper and solder.

We use a low silicate HD diesel coolant.

2-EHA is fine in European cars - Mercedes backspeced G-48 for their older cars and it's now the new service coolant. BMW, VAG and Tesla also call for G-48.

Anecdotally, I ran Dex-Cool in an old Nissan Quest with no issues. 2-EHA based coolants seem to work fine in newer Toyotas from reports here, but I wouldn't risk on a hybrid. Toyota says using a "coolant based with hybrid organic acid technology with no silicates, borates or amines" is fine so this leaves an ambiguous definition of what's OK.

I'll stick to OEM/Zerex/CCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
2-EHA is fine in European cars -

And of course, they're also the most reliable cooling systems out there, perhaps second only to GM....

Quote:
Prestone now offers specific coolants for Toyota, Honda, and European cars. Walmart has it for $6.97 for a *half* gallon of 50/50 premix..

The Honda formula was out of stock, but both the Toyota and European versions both contain 2-EHA....

'IF' true, then I say
31.gif
to those Prestone AFs and consider it a bit of false advertising. Neither Honda nor Toyota AF's contain 2eha used in DexCool and DexClone universals. Thus (if the Honda like the Toyota) those two AFs are not true Asian P-HOAT AFs.

Not quite as familiar with the Euro G series AFs (there are several/many) but before I used the Prestone "Euro" I would want to confirm that the spec oem AF contains 2eha used in Dex.

Perhaps why this Prestone AF series so cheap? Disclaimer, this all supposes the 2eha inhibitor information is correct as provided.

Local WM in this area don't carry the Valvoline Asian blue tint AF, do carry the red. Good everyday price and I would use it in Asian applications without hestitation.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Prestone Euro in a VW/Audi, BMW/Mini, newer Mercedes or a Tesla. However, it's missing the silicate component of G-48 it looks like, but I also don't think a Mercedes will grouse over missing silicate as Daimler cleverly has a silica gel pack in the surge tank.

Last edited:
AAP has these in gallon jugs of 50/50, the same price as the all makes version. It’s way cheaper than the Pentofrost they have in the back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
AAP has these in gallon jugs of 50/50, the same price as the all makes version.

The inhibitors are the most expensive part of it. And knowing that the All Makes type are on the low side and the same price as the vehicle specific...I have reason to believe the vehicle specific is on the low side as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shadow7
Better prices than dealer genuine.

I wonder if the Preston Honda is blue colored? Since the Honda CR-V comes with blue coolant

I don't really know. Many years ago, Honda coolant was green, but if you used the conventional green coolant in a Honda, the silicates would destroy the water pump.

I think NAPA sells Pentofrost Blue for Honda at a very low price, so that is what I would buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back