First battery in back seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a few years now I have been using my Ctek a couple times a year on my vehicles to try and get the most out of my batteries. With the Buick I just picked up I see the battery is under the back seat but there is a place under the hood for jumping. Is this good enough to hook up my Ctek 4.3 or should I pull the seat and hook it up directly to the battery?

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
For a few years now I have been using my Ctek a couple times a year on my vehicles to try and get the most out of my batteries. With the Buick I just picked up I see the battery is under the back seat but there is a place under the hood for jumping. Is this good enough to hook up my Ctek 4.3 or should I pull the seat and hook it up directly to the battery?

The 2 posts under the hood is the best place to hook-up

there is a place under the hood for jumping
Here is the answer.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Trav
Under the hood is fine, you can also hook a quick plug for it under the hood from the jump connector and a ground.

https://smartercharger.com/products/accessories-cat/ctek-comfort-connect/

+1. That's how I set up my BMW.

I helped a BMW driver with a jump once using my jump starter. He connected it right in the back rather than the jump points under the hood.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Under the hood is fine, you can also hook a quick plug for it under the hood from the jump connector and a ground.

I helped a BMW driver with a jump once using my jump starter. He connected it right in the back rather than the jump points under the hood.

On my 2011, that wouldn't be possible because of a large control item on the positive terminal.

Id suspect he voltage drop would be higher too.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

On my 2011, that wouldn't be possible because of a large control item on the positive terminal.

Id suspect he voltage drop would be higher too.

Apparently what he did wasn't the way BMW recommends a jump be done. However, I've had attempts to jump where hooking up negative to ground didn't work so I just clamped it right on the negative terminal and hoped it didn't go up in a ball of hydrogen flames.

I am thinking that one reason they recommend jumping from the front is that it's closer to the starter.

So just how are these wired, do they go from the battery to starter then jump post or battery to jump post then to starter or is it split some where?

Just curious!

So just how are these wired, do they go from the battery to starter then jump post or battery to jump post then to starter or is it split some where?

Just curious!

Pretty sure that the positive terminal of the battery is directly wired to the positive post of the jumper post, and the negative terminal of the battery is wired directly to the chassis. It would just be distributing the positive as a single, connected node to whatever needs it.

There are some reasons for doing it. One is avoiding the heat/vibration under the hood. Another is weight distribution. However, that's an extremely long length of cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back