Valvoline Max-Life Red Bottle and Dexos 1st Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone,

So I've been trying to answer this question for myself, and if its been discussed/answered before I apologize for my Google-Fu failing me.

I recently noticed that Valvoline Max-Life (Semi-synthetic) Red Bottle no longer is listed as meeting Dexos. I realize that's because the new generation spec cannot be met by a Semi-Son blend. What I'm wondering is, does it still meet the old spec?

My 2012 Suburban has lived on AC Delco Synthetic Blend Dexos since it was new (the dealership provided me with the service records because the previous owners purchased and had it serviced at the same dealership that I punched it from). The last two oil changes I have put in it have been Valvoline Full Synthetic w/ Maxlife which is Dexos 1 Gen 2. Yes I realize its a superior oil, and really for the extra $5 I really am happy to run the full synthetic. This is more an idle curiosity.

Thanks everyone!

I can't specifically answer your question, but I put VML in many vehicles on a daily basis and would have absolute confidence in putting it in your 5.3.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
I can't specifically answer your question, but I put VML in many vehicles on a daily basis and would have absolute confidence in putting it in your 5.3.

+1

Valvoline certainly has not LOWERED the quality of their Max-Life red bottle oil. If it was good enough before, for that engine, then it still is.

FWIW - I have a large stash of their red-bottle MaxLife, and I run it frequently. Always great UOAs.

Originally Posted By: W9HDG
I recently noticed that Valvoline Max-Life (Semi-synthetic) Red Bottle no longer is listed as meeting Dexos. I realize that's because the new generation spec cannot be met by a Semi-Son blend. What I'm wondering is, does it still meet the old spec?

My 2012 Suburban has lived on AC Delco Synthetic Blend Dexos since it was new (the dealership provided me with the service records because the previous owners purchased and had it serviced at the same dealership that I punched it from). The last two oil changes I have put in it have been Valvoline Full Synthetic w/ Maxlife which is Dexos 1 Gen 2. Yes I realize its a superior oil, and really for the extra $5 I really am happy to run the full synthetic. This is more an idle curiosity.

For a 2012 Suburban, which I gather is out of warranty, I would gather that the Valvoline MaxLife mentioned in your first paragraph would be completely suitable.

Originally Posted By: W9HDG

dexos1 Gen2, the latest spec, can be met with a synthetic blend. They are few though! Only 2 AFAIK. Pennz Gold and Quaker blend. So you usually see a full syn being dexos1 Gen2, it is true.

I'd guess it meets the old spec. I do like your choice of Valv MaxLife full synthetic though, good choice, stick with that.

Valvoline does meet D1G2 with their Durablend 5w20 / 5w30. Maxlife is a great oil, but I would not use the red bottle while under warranty. As soon as the warranty is up, run whatever you would like. The full synthetic maxlife is an even better product that actually has the D1G2 seal on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
According to their website, it meets the new SN+ specs. Valvoline has recently changed over from the previous sodium add pack to a moly-titanium-boron package.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

Sodium is primarily a detergent. So switching to moly, titanium, boron which are primarily friction modifiers/antiwear would mean no additional detergents. Maxlife likely switched over to a calcium magnesium versus a calcium sodium detergent package.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: PimTac
According to their website, it meets the new SN+ specs. Valvoline has recently changed over from the previous sodium add pack to a moly-titanium-boron package.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

Sodium is primarily a detergent. So switching to moly, titanium, boron which are primarily friction modifiers/antiwear would mean no additional detergents. Maxlife likely switched over to a calcium magnesium versus a calcium sodium detergent package.

Yep.. They went from ( VOA 6/23/2016 ) Calcium 1,962 / Sodium 396 / TBN 7.82
.. to ( VOA 3/12/2018 ) Calcium 1,157 / Magnesium 823 / TBN 8.36

Not really seeing any appreciable moly, titanium, or boron in that latest VOA though. PimTac, where did you see they had those?

That was an assumption on my part since their other oils do have the add pack I described. Seeing that PQIA analysis makes me wonder why the Maxlife would not have the same composition.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ahh you are all my friend. I like how the Valvoline Advanced full synthetic has a different additive package vs the synthetic blend red container. In a way it actually makes sense. Advanced would be likely to see longer run time so maybe a bump up in additives helps with that possibility.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ahh you are all my friend. I like how the Valvoline Advanced full synthetic has a different additive package vs the synthetic blend red container. In a way it actually makes sense. Advanced would be likely to see longer run time so maybe a bump up in additives helps with that possibility.

Thanks much. I have the VAS in the sump right now and the engine sounds good. I was short on the dipstick after 5qts which baffled me. Apparently my sump capacity in 5.5 qts. Anyway I prefer the oil up to the full mark for reference so I stopped by Wally’s. Only Valvoline Synthetic they had in quarts was VME so I took one I noticed a difference in the pour between the VME and the VAS. Not scientific but I wonder if you noticed that as well since I think you have used both?

Funny thing I just got the Valvoline Advanced full synthetic just today... So... When the time comes I will pay attention to this potential difference. I got a 5 qt container in both types. One thing I like about Valvoline Advanced full synthetic is the HTHS is 3.2 and the kinematic viscosity is like 11.4 or something. That is a fair bit higher than VME which is at 9.8....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back