PCV Oil Catch Can weirdness with new oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've come across something I think is good but weird at the same time.

I've had both PCV and Intake OCCs (Saikou Michi brand) installed for several years now on my SX and loved the way they work. I drain them (never anything on the Intake side, it is always been the PCV side that has fluid) at every oil change. In the winter, you tend to get more water due to cooler temperatures. I would get about 1~2 oz of oily/watery fluid (smelled like gas as well) in the PCV can for every 5K mile driven (my daily driver). That was when I was running M1 0W-40 oil.

I switched to Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil and gotten some better UOA (by Polaris) a while back. At my last OCI this weekend (my third on Castrol), I found basically NO fluids in my OCCs! Only a few drops. I also cleaned mine out with Throttle Body Cleaner just to be sure I had nothing getting fouled up and it was fine. Keep in mind that this GDI turbo engine is very hard on any oil used and this engine normally gets lots of fuel dilution in the oil.

I know that Castrol has a lower NOACK value from the M1 oil I was running, but only thing I can summarize is that I'm getting much less blow-by with the Castrol edge and therefore far less is getting collected in the OCCs. I'll continue to watch it. Car runs strong, never uses oil and has no issues all through this oil brand change (over maybe a years time-frame).

Very strange but I think GOOD news! Thought I'd pass it along.

Intresting.

I get a little bit of nastyness in mine on my turbo tercel after a few weeks on ST. same catch can BTW

The crankcase id filled with oil mist when the engine is running. NOACK is inconsequential in this .

Nice - good on you. Some oils work better in some situations ...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
The crankcase id filled with oil mist when the engine is running. NOACK is inconsequential in this .

Isn't a lower NOACK oil going to produce less "oil mist?" If so that would support the OP's observation.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Isn't a lower NOACK oil going to produce less "oil mist?" If so that would support the OP's observation.
Noack is oil thickening? The pistons and cylinders etc are lube by oil flinging off of the con rods and crankshaft windage. Depending on the engine the cams and also the rocker arms cams etc splash/fling oil .

FWIW: I should note that with this latest oil change (I do keep it to ~4K miles for my OCI), that I didn't notice as much of a gas smell in the old oil as I might have in the past - but that is very subjective! Again, not really sure what that may mean in the context of what I found with the OCCs, but it is interesting. This weekend, I'll double the PCV valve itself to make sure it is clear and working just to make sure that system if functioning as expected.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Noack is oil thickening? The pistons and cylinders etc are lube by oil flinging off of the con rods and crankshaft windage. Depending on the engine the cams and also the rocker arms cams etc splash/fling oil .

I thought it was evaporation loss from heat, and oil thickening as a result, which would back the OP's statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back