The next step forward ?? ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been a decade away from fusion for the past 60 years...and I think we are still a decade away...

I am hopeful, but not optimistic, about this design.

Sure would be great if I were wrong on that point!

Can you imagine what this would be worth ?

Can you imagine the number of apple carts this will upset ?

Can you imagine OPEC buying Lockheed - Martian to keep it off the market .

Can you imagine people killing to keep it off the market .

But , for now , I am going to classify it in my head , as pie in the sky .

I'm still giggling about Pons, Fleischmann and Cold Fusion U. I think Dan Rather might have a Joe Newman Energy Machine he will let go cheap.Probably one or two Zeromoters that can be picked up at a bargain too.

If you come across one, I'll pay the freight
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
We've been a decade away from fusion for the past 60 years...and I think we are still a decade away...

I am hopeful, but not optimistic, about this design.

Sure would be great if I were wrong on that point!

Yep..you are not wrong.
And I am someone who spent my life in Nuke power. Its not happening any time soon...unfortunately.

Basically free energy.
What's not to like?
If this were to actually come to fruition, electric utilities everywhere would become worthless overnight and most of the petroleum industry would come to a screeching halt.
Something like this would be a quantum leap were it possible.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Basically free energy.
What's not to like?
If this were to actually come to fruition, electric utilities everywhere would become worthless overnight and most of the petroleum industry would come to a screeching halt.

Well I don't think you're going to have a Mr. Fusion on every car. Very little oil is actually used for electricity generation.

But yeah, change does happen. The coal industry is basically going out of business because gas is so cheap now and all the coal plants are shutting down because they can't compete with gas plants.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Farnsworth Fusor anyone ???

Always suspected that the "next step" was decades old.

Go to the bottom for some of the farnsworth patents...
http://www.rexresearch.com/farnsworth/fusor.htm#3258

These things actually make neutrons, so there's something going on that can be replicated by kids at school science fairs.

(yeah, I know, wiki...Google is making finding all my old haunts painful these days).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor#Commercial_applications

Quote:
Neutron source
The fusor has been demonstrated as a viable neutron source. Typical fusors cannot reach fluxes as high as nuclear reactor or particle accelerator sources, but are sufficient for many uses. Importantly, the neutron generator easily sits on a benchtop, and can be turned off at the flick of a switch. A commercial fusor was developed as a non-core business within DaimlerChrysler Aerospace - Space Infrastructure, Bremen between 1996 and early 2001.[10] After the project was effectively ended, the former project manager established a company which is called NSD-Fusion.[13] To date, the highest neutron flux achieved by a fusor-like device has been 3 × 1011 neutrons per second with the deuterium-deuterium fusion reaction.[11]

Medical isotopes
Commercial startups have used the neutron fluxes generated by fusors to generate Mo-99, an isotope used for medical care.[11][12]

Here's the Lockheed Patent...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20180047462A1/en?oq=2018%2f0047462

Amongst stating it, they appear to be trying to capture every possible use (planes, trucks, ships, power stations), much like Apple would claim patent to an "on button".

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Basically free energy.
What's not to like?

Well I don't think you're going to have a Mr. Fusion on every car. Very little oil is actually used for electricity generation.

But yeah, change does happen. The coal industry is basically going out of business because gas is so cheap now and all the coal plants are shutting down because they can't compete with gas plants.

I think you've missed the point.
If I have my very own fusion reactor in the garage, I can generate all the electricity I'll ever need for almost nothing.
That being the case, why would I even consider an IC daily driver? The cost savings in fuel alone would make an EV a real bargain.
A viable micro fusion reactor wouldn't be mere change happening. It would be a quantum leap in both energy economics and environmental quality. The possibilities are so vast as to be hard to imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back