Looking for a used riding lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a used riding lawnmower. I don't need a zero turn, but a relatively tight turning radius is needed. I would rather buy something used of decent quality. I don't want to buy something (new or used) that you can get at a home improvement store, those are relatively disposable. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Specific to John Deeres, any models or model lines I should be looking for? Would this one be decent?

https://www.rands.com/pre-owned-equipment/e422616/john-deere-lt166/

The big box stores usually care the 100 series
John Deeres. The 200 series are step up and can
have a Kohler or Kawasaki engine which are a step up
from the Briggs.
Always check the condition of the mower deck, that's
were home maintenance falls short is some cases and
rust around the spindles would start.
The JD dealer is ridiculous on prices for used.
Several other small engine dealers have used JDs for
better prices. Watch craig's list in your area.

My 2¢

I have a little over a third of an acre. Not huge but too big to push mow the whole thing without it taking two and and a half hours. Some of it is fenced and there is a shed. I have an old Ariens now and I spend a lot of time just riding around areas I already cut because of the large turning radius.

I thought their prices were high. They are known to be in this area. Wasn't sure if the 100 series was OK or not, sounds like I should be looking at the 200.

If you are looking for a hydrostatic drive, a Deere LX is a pretty good machine! Kawasaki powered and will run practically forever! Had better transmissions than the newer stuff a a well!
You can usually find then reasonably cheap.

Dont buy from someone that has large steep hills to mow. I bought a very nice Deere lawn tractor for cheap because the transmission was slipping. He had used chains. I was told to never run chains on a hydrostatic drive by the guy that fixed it..sounded like good advice. I ended up selling it for a profit.

If you can buy a Deere for the right price they are easy to sell later on if you take care of them.

I have an LT180 with the kawi vtwin.. its at least 14 years old. I am the third owner and its been abused its whole life.

I would love to have this one new..the people before me took most of its life but it still does its job just has alot of stuff falling off lol.

Originally Posted By: cronk
If you are looking for a hydrostatic drive, a Deere LX is a pretty good machine! Kawasaki powered and will run practically forever! Had better transmissions than the newer stuff a a well!

+1

Better Decks, Kawasaki engines, Tuff Torq Transmissions usually in the K60's. TT in the 40's are weaker.

I just bought a LX280 for $1400 with 800 hours. Probably 14-15 years old. Mows and runs great. Bought it from a little old man (82 years) that said he wanted to have one more new JD before he died and he knew this one would outlive him. Seriously....

I would do a little research on hydrostatic transmissions.

Last edited:
I'm really happy with my John Deere L120 that has a 42 inch deck and a 20 HP B&S engine. I and a neighbor have used it for ~ 11 years and it mows about 3/4 acre between the two yards. Smooth running, cuts very well and has been utterly dependable. Too many people overlook the fact that new has a warranty vs you hope the used one works out. Ed

An 18 year old mower is an 18 year old mower, the chances are the tires are old and cracked, the belts are how old? Engine hours? Rust.

These things effect a mower regardless of brand, the JD advrtised was WAY over priced.

A well maintained Big Box Store mower (that is much younger) can be a better buy.

We bought a Murray 15 hp for our 1 acre 15 years ago. I maintain it, it's on its 2nd set of belts and 3rd battery.

Last edited:
I have a Troy-Bilt Pony with a 15.5 HP engine. It's not the highest quality but it was new and I think it will be fine as long as I take care of it. If it dies tomorrow, I'll get another one.

Originally Posted By: cronk
My LX188 is 20 years old and I’ve spent $100 on repairs in all those years. I replaced the hydro fan about 10 years ago. Everything else was installed by JD when it was built except filters, plugs and 2 front tires. Even the deck and drive belts are original. My neighbor is on his third MTD in the same amount of time.

Last edited:
There wasn't much used worth looking at in zero turn, so I ended up buying a new Toro SS4225 42" zero turn. Got last year's model on sale with the Kohler 7000 series engine made about 75 miles away from where I live. The 2018 engines are Toro branded and made in China. Dealer gave me an extra $100 off, too, because he said Toro Dealer Days are coming up and that is usually the offer then. Was able to finance at 0% for 18 months, and along with the financing you can submit for a $100 VISA card (card is only reason I took financing). He also took a very old Arien's tractor on trade for $100, which I thought was fair.

Was $2902 OTD including tax and delivery (30 miles), then I will also get the $100 VISA card. I got the rubber floor mat, hour meter, mulching kit, and jack as accessories. Thought the price was good on the machine, thought the accessories are expensive. A comparable Deere is $300-$400 more, and Arien's $500 more. Delivery is April 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back