Use of Synthetic two stroke oil in small engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Poulan weed wacker calls for Synthetic two cycle oil. I don’t mind since I don’t use a lot of gas but are others out there still using Dino with good results? Here is a photo of both Poulan labeled synthetic and cheapo Dino. What do you recommend?

Last edited:
Yes, lots of people still use conventional 2-stroke oil with no issues. A good oil is a good oil whether it is synthetic or petroleum based. There are not-so-good oils out there, but for a weed whacker, there's plenty of good options.

Condolences on the Poulan … just put a year old (hardly used) chainsaw at the road … it sat for 7 hours before someone grabbed the shiny chartreuse wonder …

Oh course it helped me justify my first Stihl … so it was useful in that regard … gonna run that today
wink.gif

Gee, my Poulan Weed Wacker is going on 25 years and still runs great. Needs new fuel lines as the Ethanol has done them in, but otherwise fine
smile.gif

I have nuked some little Poulan chainsaws, but that was my own fault. Tuning for max RPM leaned them out and they seized. Those little plastic saws are touchy that way. Now I err on the side of rich and they just keep truckin
smile.gif

I ran a 50/50 mix of Poulan Synthetic Oil and dino 2-stroke for years. Ran well. My wife got 1/2 case on sale and I "extended" it with some other oil I already had. No issues at all. Clean piston crowns and no scoring in Husky, Echo, and Partner saws RedMax blower and Ryobi brush cutter.

Note: I don't run any of it at 50:1. Always 40:1. No smoke, no good. I like to see that mosquito repellent coming out of the exhaust
laugh.gif

Once I ran out of the Poulan oil, I started mixing the same way with Motul synthetic 2-stroke oil which I use in the dirt bikes. Same deal. Good Dino/Syn mix at 40:1. Been doing that in dirt bikes since the 1970's. Works well. Always 40:1
smile.gif

Last edited:
I agree 100% with BrocLuno. I always mix my gas and oil at 32:1 or 40:1 but never leaner than that.
My last Craftsman weedtrimmer lasted over 20 years.
Smoke is good and oil keeps them cleaner not carboned as they like you to believe.

I run motul 800 2t in my 2 cycles at 32:1. It is ester based and it gives maximum protection and i even use it in my lawn boy 2 cycles.

I've run Amsoil Saber synthetic 2-stroke in my Toro CCR2000 snowblower for several years without an issue. The same for my son's '78 Puch Maxi moped. Mixing 100:1 is kind of a pain (my RatioRite mixing cup doesn't have a convenient hash mark for 1.3 oz. into my 1-gallon gas can) so they get something closer to 75 or 80:1 Oil isn't fuel, so additional oil in gasoline actually makes the fuel mixture leaner, not richer.

Last edited:
Mix the cheap stuff at 40:1. I don't think I've used Stihl oil for 30 yrs. Latest is Valvoline Universal mixed to 32:!

Originally Posted By: khittner
I've run Amsoil Saber synthetic 2-stroke in my Toro CCR2000 snowblower for several years without an issue. The same for my son's '78 Puch Maxi moped. Mixing 100:1 is kind of a pain (my RatioRite mixing cup doesn't have a convenient hash mark for 1.3 oz. into my 1-gallon gas can) so they get something closer to 75 or 80:1 Oil isn't fuel, so additional oil in gasoline actually makes the fuel mixture leaner, not richer.

I use Amsoil as well for my Stihls. Best thing I ever did for them! Yrs ago I bought 100 of the 1 gallon add packs that mix with 1 gallon of fuel for 100:1. Saws always start and run great.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
Amsoil Sabre as well. Amazing stuff!

I have used Amsoil Saber for 10-15 years in my Echo Weed Wacker.

Carbon in the exhaust ports was a major problem back when many 2-cycle engines were mixed with plain mineral oil.(sae 30)

All 2-stroke oil now-a-days is "ashless"... so carbon is pretty much a worry from the past

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Carbon in the exhaust ports was a major problem back when many 2-cycle engines were mixed with plain mineral oil.(sae 30)

All 2-stroke oil now-a-days is "ashless"... so carbon is pretty much a worry from the past

tcw3 is ashless oil for liquid cooled 2 cycle outboards and air cooled lawn boys
jaso FB,FC,FD oil is low ash two cycle oil intended for chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers and PWC engines
so all oil is not ashless.

The main thing you need to look for is the JASO FD rating on the bottle. I'll run any syn or semi-syn with the FD rating. Lately its been VP syn bought on clearance.

I use Amsoil Saber, but I mix it richer at 50:1. I ran the first couple of tankfulls through my Echo chainsaw at 40:1, but bumped it up to 50:1 after that. I have an older Poulan weed eater that still runs great after using either Poulan oil or Stihl orange bottle since new before switching to the Amsoil. And I always add a little of that mix to my older John Deere 14SB lawnmower's gas tank everytime I mow.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited:
In a consumer grade 2 stroke, it should not matter what kind/brand of 2 stroke oil you use. So long as it is designed for air cooled equipment, who cares?

I have been using either Super Tech or Poulan Pro 2 stroke oil in all my equpment for years with no problems. I go slightly rich on the ratio at 45:1 and I add a half ounce per gallon of K100 fuel treatment and everything always runs great.

thumbsup2.gif

Stihl Ultra. A six-pack,each makes one gallon at a time.Convenient, runs clean, sold everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back