Ford Orange = Dex Cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Several years since I owned a Ford & at that time , everything ran the old / traditional green stuff .

I have 2 GM cars that run Dex + a 1991 Chevy running green .

So , not being very knowledgeable about Fords , I would run what Ford recommends & would not mix coolant , except for an emergency .

2 gallons of coolant is not that much money . Just go down to Walley World and purchase " Ford " coolant .

Best of luck to you , :)
Whoa-be careful-there's a lot of different Ford coolants! Put Premium Gold/G-05 in with that Specialty Orange & bad things are going to happen! I use Orange in the Transit, Gold in the 4.6 MGM, and SCA fortified low silicate green in the old 7.3 F-450, all Fords are definitely not the same! Not to mention the dark green FL22 PHOAT Ford/Mazda coolant (which has more in common with Honda/Toyota/Nissan than any other coolant Ford uses).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
My wife's 2011 Mustang had Ford / Motorcraft orange as the factory fill, I replaced it last summer after 6 years service with CQ orange coolant, which was much less expensive especially with the use of AAP online discount codes.

The Ford / MC orange coolant is DexCool, you'll see that spec number on the Zerex Dexcool orange coolant on the Valvoline product web site. The Ford / Motorcraft spec number for Ford / MC Gold coolant appears on the info for Zerex G05 on the Valvoline web site. Check the PI sheets for the corresponding spec numbers.

Zerex DexCool Link

Zerex G05 Link

To me the spec numbers mean more than anyone's verbal assessment, including someone working in a FLAPS.

I broke out my manual, and the Zerex Dex Cool PDS noted Ford spec matches it except for the number "2" on the end of the spec in the manual.
I do wonder IF this has ANY bearing, or IF there is even a very slight formulation/additive difference between the Zerex DC and the Motorcraft Orange? (Or if they added that number just to sell more Motorcraft fluids?)
21.gif

In any case, I pay less than a dollar difference between the above two coolants locally, so it doesn't hurt to use the Motorcraft for now.
wink.gif

Well, if you look at the link on the prior page of this thread, the difference in the spec number for Ford Motorcraft Orange concentrate and Ford Motorcraft Orange 50% is an additional numeral "2" at the end of the spec number for Motorcraft Orange 50%.

I suspect a similar arrangement exists for Ford Motorcraft Gold concentrate vs. Ford Motorcraft Gold 50%, although the chart linked on the prior page of this thread doesn't show that.

Why don't you contact Valvoline for clarification? Certainly there's higher profitability in selling 50% coolant vs. concentrate.

Last edited:
Well, if you look at the link on the prior page of this thread, the difference in the spec number for Ford Motorcraft Orange concentrate and Ford Motorcraft Orange 50% is an additional numeral "2" at the end of the spec number for Motorcraft Orange 50%.

I suspect a similar arrangement exists for Ford Motorcraft Gold concentrate vs. Ford Motorcraft Gold 50%, although the chart linked on the prior page of this thread doesn't show that.

Why don't you contact Valvoline for clarification? Certainly there's higher profitability in selling 50% coolant vs. concentrate.

THANKS
thumbsup2.gif
for pointing that out, as I did not consider that the manual was ONLY referring to the 50/50 mixed stuff, and hence, the "2" as a suffix.
Now I will have to go to the cellar and look at the Ford number on the full strength jug of the Motorcraft orange I have there. LOL

I have not even seen a jug of that 50/50 Motorcraft in any store, or dealer locally (but I suspect that the dealers have 55 gallon drums of it in the service areas
wink.gif
).

I was planning on using Prestone Dexcool in my 2014 Focus when the time comes to change the FF next fall (4 years is plenty). I know that many coolants such as regular Prestone are called 'Dexclones'. What's the difference between Prestone Dexcool and Prestone yellow bottle (Dexclone)? Is it just license fees and dye that make the Dexcool more expensive?

Originally Posted By: pbm
..... What's the difference between Prestone Dexcool and Prestone yellow bottle (Dexclone)? Is it just license fees and dye that make the Dexcool more expensive?

License fees are likely a factor. Also best information on newest Prestone w/Core-Guard seems to indicate a lower than DexCool concentration of 2eha.

I'd stick with DexCool in new(er) model applications like Ford and GM. However I'd go with whatever brand DexCool concentrate least expensive and readily available. Just me.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

I'd stick with DexCool in new(er) model applications like Ford and GM. However I'd go with whatever brand DexCool concentrate least expensive and readily available. Just me.

That's what I did. Hard to beat CQ Orange concentrate at $10.07 / gal after AAP discount code & BoA CC rebate. Especially when my wife's Mustang OM manual specifies changing every 3 years / 50K miles once the factory fill is drained.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

THANKS
thumbsup2.gif
for pointing that out, as I did not consider that the manual was ONLY referring to the 50/50 mixed stuff, and hence, the "2" as a suffix.
Now I will have to go to the cellar and look at the Ford number on the full strength jug of the Motorcraft orange I have there. LOL

I have not even seen a jug of that 50/50 Motorcraft in any store, or dealer locally (but I suspect that the dealers have 55 gallon drums of it in the service areas
wink.gif
).

RA has both the Motorcraft Orange coolant concentrate & 50/50 premix available.

RockAuto Link

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
@Trav- as long as you don't try to run it for 150k
smile.gif

My Daughters 2000 Cavalier has original DexCool in it and its still clean and working fine at 150K

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The back of the AC Delco jug says Dex-Cool meets ASTM D3306 for automotive sevice. What does the Ford Orange jug say?

The Ford bottle just says it meets the Ford spec. The previous part number had the Dex-Cool and GM logos on them but Ford hasn't used that bottle in years.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
@Trav- as long as you don't try to run it for 150k
smile.gif

My Daughters 2000 Cavalier has original DexCool in it and its still clean and working fine at 150K

Indeed, Dex was not the problem and it is still maligned today by many. The problem was gaskets.

Note that we regularly run new fleet trucks to component failure with factory Dex fill. This is typically 200k miles or even more. Never an issue here...

Quote:
.....There was also orange Chrysler OAT for a short period in 2013.

And if one checks out the sae paper linked on FCA's introduction of their OAT AF likely what's seen is the new in 2012 OAT. They must have figured out early on that making the OAT tint so close to their G05 tint, a bad idea.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back