Ford/Mazda Intake Manifold Runner Flaps Ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago I purchased a 2008 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.3l Duratec. It has a tick coming from the intake manifold area. I started to investigate and realized that the noise is coming from these flaps that sit in the intake manifold runners. They are controlled by a vacuum solenoid and open/close to better deliver power. When I take the vacuum off the solenoid, the engine is very quiet. After doing some reading in other forums, some have said to replace the solenoid and others say the entire intake manifold must be replaced. Does anyone have experience with this issue? It affects quite a few other Fords and Mazdas. I would really appreciate any advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gaD0TXOASQ - This video shows a 2.0 duratec with the same issue

I had the same problem with a 2007 Focus. Probably the manifold needs to be replaced.

That's from reversion pulses. Normal.
But are the flaps screwed on or riveted? They can become loose and buzz then possibly fall off.

This is a major problem with just about any engine that used "tumble valves" in the IM.

Old guys will remember heat riser ticking on dodge and Kreisler in the 60s and 70s. Same effect but different location.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I had the same problem with a 2007 Focus. Probably the manifold needs to be replaced.

I appreciate the info. Were you able to do the replacement yourself? Also nice job on getting ~225k out of your fusion so far. Does that one have the 2.3 or 3.0?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
That's from reversion pulses. Normal.
But are the flaps screwed on or riveted?

This is a major problem with just about any engine that used "tumble valves" in the IM.

Old guys will remember heat riser ticking on dodge and Kreisler in the 60s and 70s. Same effect but different location.

The flaps seem to be part of a rod that extends through the runners. I think the rod is plastic and the flaps are part of the mold.

Last edited:
On some Ford engines the IMRC runners rely on plastic bushings that keep them in place. These bushings wear out and crack after some time. They can make a noise and throw OBD codes.

Is this a factor?

Wow that IM is a piece of Junk design !

Toyotas, Hondas, and BMW have this system as well.

And Nissans....various motorcycles, and plenty others. Intake runner secondary butterflies are very common on MANY cars and bikes, going back quite a few years. it helps cold idle, affects low end torque, and affects emissions as well.

My wife was driving my 240sx on a regular basis for a while and said "The car feels sluggish lately" and I found the vacuum actuator for the secondary flaps was bad, keeping the flaps open full time when they should be pulled closed below 2500 rpm. I replaced it without telling her and she later said "Did you fix the car? It feels a lot peppier than it did".

Some people do away with the flaps and don't notice any difference. On my car, I chose to fix it because its definitely noticeable on this engine when they aren't working right.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
On some Ford engines the IMRC runners rely on plastic bushings that keep them in place. These bushings wear out and crack after some time. They can make a noise and throw OBD codes.

Is this a factor?

Not on these. That is on the 3.8 and 4.2 V6's. The Duratech 4 cylinders you usually have to replace the intake manifold. Sometimes you can get the shutter valve separate.

No problem with the Fusion, but the Focus was totaled before I got around to replacing the IM. Here is a video from a guy that just took the valves out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXRMHl34Ho

Assuming you have the 2.3 in your fusion, have you ever had problems with your runner flaps? I wonder if my intake was defective from the factory and never really looked into. As far as taking the flaps out, I wonder what the implications might be.

Is this a factor?

No codes at all, just the ticking. I will keep those bushings in mind. That sounds like a cheaper fix vs an entire new manifold.

I dont mind the plastic manifold so much as I have had them in other cars and I never had an issue. But this runner flap thing is something else...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Is this a factor?

Not on these. That is on the 3.8 and 4.2 V6's. The Duratech 4 cylinders you usually have to replace the intake manifold. Sometimes you can get the shutter valve separate.

Looks like I can get the IMRC Valve/Solenoid separately, Mazda part L301-18-741. Not sure how difficult it would be to replace but Im considering doing the manifold so it shouldn't be any worse. Do you think a new solenoid might fix the problem?

Yes, but apparently their implementation doesn't need replacement.

Thankfully, that device was removed on my B2300 as part of a redesign; early duratech ranger/b2300 are littered with this as a common fix.

I would make sure one is available the same day before fiddling around with the old one.
You may or may not be able to cobble a permanent fix with oilite flange bushings depending on how its put together.

I would grab a used one and play with that, once I had a good repair swap it out. I like doing this type of repair just for fun. We use to bush Q Jet throttle plate shafts this way, the repair was way better than OE,

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I am going to consider deleting the flaps or just replacing the intake.

On my V8 Taurus SHO motor I took the secondary flaps out and never looked back. A few holes to plug. No CEL as log as the controller was disconnected too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back