Bought a used car and have Maintenance questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2002 Saturn lw200 2.2l with 62k miles and the spark plugs and cabin filter were last changed at 59,304 miles but that was back in March 2016 so im wondering should i replace the plugs and filter or im still good? It was a old lady who drove the car and seems like she didnt drive it much. It also says drive belts replaced @ 51,608 miles but that was in October 2013. Power steering pump replaced @ 46,484 January 2012. Should i replace anything or these parts still should be fine since there wasnt alot of mileage on them? The car fires right up and sounds quiet.

Last edited:
Aren’t all old used cars driven by old ladies? Pull one plug and you will have your answer. Might at well change the fluids as well.

Most of those parts were replaced at 10-12 years. Wouldn't think they need replacing any time soon unless they were sub-standard. Seems to me the local garage was replacing stuff "early" for this old lady. Those parts will probably last as long as you own the car.

Keep the plugs, replace the cabin filter and the belts. Replace all fluids, as suggested above, and check the condition of suspension and steering components. Might want to look closely at the brake hoses given the age of the vehicle.

Wonder why it needed a steering pump with so few miles. Maybe it sat a lot and developed a leak and then was driven with low fluid level.

Pull one of the most difficult spark plugs to remove and see if it was truly looks like new. No need to do anything else unless you like doing it. Ed

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Change the oil/transmission fluid/brake fluid/coolant and be done with it.

+1

Check to see if all recalls have been done.

My ION 2.2 was 10 years old and right at 60,000 miles. I replaced the plugs, belts, hoses, etc. Time, use, dust and heat here in AZ all take a toll. Pre-emptive maintenance. Stuff done on my schedule instead of being stranded on the side of the road in 110 degree weather.

Not everyone's idea of maintenance, but it's something I've sworn by since reading a book called "Why Trade It In ?" decades ago. I keep my cars for a long time and hate the idea of car payments again.

Early 2.2s had problems with the timing chain oiler and tensioner. An upgrade here with the later improved parts may be money well spent.

Nice score.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back