When its your time its your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 yrs ago my boss hired a younger guy at the shop. Iirc he was about 12 yrs younger than me. Would make him 37ish.

We were not real friendly. He was very arrogant. He worked with us about a year. So I ignored him most of the time.

He had a massive heart attack last week and passed away! Kinda makes ya think, am I next?

He just plain died. What would that have to do with your "time to go"?

I worked with a guy who'd say of your friend, "His room was ready".

Fretting an early demise? Don't be a bump on a log, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Get in shape (or better shape), eat smarter, quit smoking etc. Get a thorough check up.

"Gosh gee willakers, am I next?" is NOT the way to look at this.

Chris at 74 I've seen a lot of them come and a lot of them go. I don't worry about it a lot. I don't smoke and I drink moderately. I do watch my weight (162) and I workout 4 to 6 days a week. Two of those days include weights. My BP is 117/73 my resting heart rate is around 73. I'm going to be here until I'm not. My plan is to stay as long as I have a quality of life. No one leaves the planet alive unless you're an astronaut!

Last edited:
Harold Lunzman lived to be 94 years old and smoked filterless Pall Malls the entire time I knew him.
His wife, Lydia Lunzman, lived to be 91. She smoked filtered cigs, I forget what brand.

Why did they live into their 90's?
---------------------------

When I was in high school, an 18 year old classmate of mine whose father was 38 was at National Guard duty one weekend. They were playing some 3-on-3 basketball, and he fell dead on the basketball court.

The other guys thought he was joking around. He wasn't.
He never smoked in his life, and wasn't a drinker, either.

Why did he die at 38?

I think what Kira told is make the best of life with what you have. And get into your head to do your best to even the odds.

I thought you where just married 1-1.5 years ago.

If I where your wife, I would slap you hard than hug you.

You are here now. What you have done until now, what all your family before you has come to now.

Learn from the past,
Live in the now
Prepare for good and bad for the future.

I agree 1000% Linctex.

In my position guys I have seen all kinds of circumstances that made 0 sense to me... Try explaining to a family or patient why something has happened the way it has... Very, very, very, hard. Sometimes things happen for no good reason and there is no easy answer. I knew of a 17 yr old fella that was diagnosed with a very rare blood disease. He passed away a year later. Made ZERO sense. He obviously had done nothing to bring that on. Yet it happened. Bad genetics?? Ok yeah maybe. But none of his family had anything remotely like that ever happen to them.

Many, many, many people in this world want an easy answer to circumstances that happen. Yet there are numerous times where there is no easy answer available to be found. There's a country song by Reba that goes, "what do say at a moment like this, when you can't find the words to tell it like it is, just shut your mouth and let your heart lead the way, ohh what do you say??". Whole, whole lot of truth in those words. People don't need answers in many circumstances.... They just need you... To be there, present, just listening to them, holding their hand, giving them a hug even though tears are steaming down your face while you do so. I remember being student in the ICU unit at a hospital in my hometown... A daughters mother passed away that afternoon... She came out of that room.. All I did was hug her and held that lady while she cried and cried.... That's all she needed. After several minutes she settled in and thanked me. It was tough. I did a walk around the ICU unit gathering myself back together, wiping away some tears myself. Reba's words are so true... What do you say at a moment like this, just close your mouth and let your heart lead the way. In that moment I knew in my heart all the lady needed was someone just to hold her...

I had my best friend pass away at the age of 29 just 5 years ago and another good friend at the age of 34 just a couple of weeks ago. It has definitely made me think about my own mortality a bit. I try to have a good time and enjoy life and make memories with my kids and wife. You can eat healthy, jog 5 miles a day, and still die from some real obscure thing. Another guy I know was in his early thirties and had survived a motorcycle crash. He got his paperwork and was being released from the hospital. Leaned over to tie his shoe and dropped dead. Blood clot in the brain. He was in his early 30’s too.

All you can do is try to improve your odds of living longer, but you cannot guarantee it. None of us, not one, can say that they will definitely live past tomorrow. The best you can do is try to make the most of today and make plans for tomorrow and onward.

There's always another bridge, or another crazy person, or who-knows-what out there.. Rather than ask yourself why, or "when is it going to be me?", ask yourself "am I making the most of today?"

Love those you have in your life, and don't stress over everything.

That's my $0.02, at least.

Life often comes down to doing one thing instead of another. There is no mystery here. Just imagine if you did not go out that night an did not meat that person that you married. Your life would be different, today.

When something bad happens you need to focus on a solution and not the problem. The problem is history and a solution is your future. You get to choose which one will be your focus. If you choose to live with the problems of your past you will soon wear out your welcome with those that can help you the most if given the chance. If you live for the future you will never have the door to love and help close to you.

I speak from experience having been diagnosed 10 years ago with cancer and told to get my affairs in order within the next few months. And I followed my own advice and never looked back.

wow, 37. That's young. Makes me wonder if I should be going to Muay Thai and Jui-Jitsu 6 times a week... but if I'm going to die I would prefer it be while throwing strikes and doing what I love.

Enjoy every moment gents. There is no guarantee you'll get another chance.

As mentioned above, as we age, we "know" more and more dead people. In the last 6 months, I've lost 3 friends, including my closest friend. That hurt like crazy and I miss him every day.

I've lived to an older age than all my paternal ancestors 5 or 6 generations back. Does that mean I could perish any second? Or does that mean that my mothers DNA is superior?

My close friend that died, was a Boeing 787 senior captain for American Airlines, was at his ideal weight, exercised regularly, was exceptionally careful (near vegan) about what he consumed, never smoked and so on. Yet died suddenly of heart failure.

The fact is, when heart arterial plaque ruptures, a clot forms and blood flow is blocked, often leading to death. His was sudden and instant.

Many of us mistakenly "assume" that what we consume causes heart disease. That's not entirely so, nor does it change the risk of survival when a plaque rupture happens. Ancient Egyptian mummies (the ones with the heart still intact) had heart disease, seemingly at the same rate we do.

Last edited:
I'm a regular runner - usually a couple of shorter runs (4-5 mi) during the week, then at least one longer run of at least 10 miles (usually hills) on the weekend. In addition to that, I do push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups, and some weights, about 3 times a week. I also cycle and mountain bike, and ride trails on my dirt bike. But I do eat a lot of stuff that's considered "bad" and has a lot of cholesterol (eggs, bacon, sausage, hamburgers, pizza, lots of dairy, butter, ice cream, fried stuff, etc.). Regardless, I stay at ideal weight (180) for my height (6'2") due to all the exercise. I can eat whatever I want and not gain anything. (I might gain a few lbs. after a couple of large meals, but it's right back off after the next longer run.) But I do think about all that cholesterol and wonder if my arteries are getting clogged. They say if your fire burns hot enough, you can eat anything and not worry; it'll just be burned off. But I'm not sure. Being from the South, I grew up on lots of butter, bread, fried food, BBQ, (stuff that tastes good, dangit!). It's hard to give that up. I will say, I do love vegetables and fruits, and eat a lot of those, too. I've also wondered if eating lots of brightly and darkly-colored veggies serves to counteract all the "bad" stuff. I think it does have an effect.

I do go to the doc at least once a year and have bloodwork done. So far nothing's been a red flag. HR, BP, cholesterol levels are always "in spec". I'm 38, so, we'll see if that changes.

I am soon to be 71 and feel good and still do my own car repairs and oil changes. Doctors told my parents that I would be lucky to live beyond my early 20's. I have never had lots of muscle due to my condition which is acute intermittent porphyria. I retired from my X-Ray job 3 years ago. Have enjoyed retirement and just stay active. I was touched by the Masters hand and when I was in my 30's Wife was told several times by Doctors that I would not be coming home. My 3 sons are all pretty healthy and very bright. I have been blessed. I have never smoked or drank alcohol as that can trigger my disease. Eat lots of BBQ and good southern food. My wife is the best. Many of my friends died in Vietnam. Age and DNA had nothing to do with that. I am prepared for when it happens and just enjoy life while I am here.

The average life expectancy of a person in the United States is around 79 years. When I was younger I thought hey, most of us will live to 79 and then die afterward. What it really means is half of us will die before we reach 79 and all the comments on this posting reflect those people who are dying. 1/2 of everyone. Roger Bannister, the first man to run the 4 minute mile, died last year at the age of 80, only one year more than the average American. Go figure.

Do your best to keep fit, but giving up Rum and Coke is not in my program.

You don't want to live to be older than 85-90.

Ask me again If I make it to 85
smile.gif

You don't want to live to be older than 85-90.

Ask me again If I make it to 85
Yah, My Dads passing was a mercy at 87. Modern medicine keeps people living longer, some times too long. Mum is in a wheel chair at 97 and slowly failing. Her skeleton is worn out and pains her everywhere. She is sharp as ever though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back