They shut me down...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they closed the dealership, they set me up with a car bay in the corner of the tractor shop down the road. It's been a great 18 months, best job I've had, working by myself, but in a shop with others. But it's not working, and they have shut me down this month. I have been offered a job up at the other branch, in a town 56km north, a Mitsubishi and Kia dealership...I'll be taking the load off the mechanics by doing the PD's, fitting towbars, bullbars etc. First day tomorrow. I often get sent up there to work if they are short handed (2 days the week before), so I know everyone there and how it all works.

I had a quick thought of getting another job, but I'm 64, I'll just go with what's offered. But then the shoulder taps started, and I've got to decide between 4 jobs (3 plus what I have), not something I expected at my age. Most of it comes down to the commute, 560km a week is more than $2 an hour, but at this stage that's not on offer, another is 332km a week, then 100km, or exactly the same as I have now, the place is just across the road from where I was. There's more to it than that of course, but paying for fuel is less money for me...it's a pay decrease, I want more money to travel.

Brain going around in circles...I don't want to travel 56km to work, 30km is doable, 10km is no problem at all, and 3km just fine by me. A couple of boring jobs at the extremes, more interesting ones with more or less travel. I have time to decide, like, no pressure man...

Your skills are in demand.. In addition to seeing how much extra you need to make the commute worthwhile, decide how much less pay you’ll accept to be able to work close to home. Of course job security works into this but sounds like there is plenty of work.

They will all match the pay I'm already on, but if fuel costs are $2 an hour, then I'm taking a $2 an hour drop in income. Not too worried about a commute, but it will be on a 31 year old motorcycle and a 22 year old car. The one in town is with my old service manager, I've known him for years, and I know what he'll get me doing...all the safety inspections, hey, nice easy (and boring) work for an old guy. I am the only one in town able to do motorcycle inspections, and I'll also bring customers with me. The one in the city 30km south is more interesting to me, lots of work, and real work, not PD's or inspections, but he's also talking about saturdays, not mornings, a whole day. A 6 day week ? Am I up for that ? The 4th one I'm letting ride, they still want me, but too many undercurrents.

I haven't approached them for any of these jobs, they have all contacted me.

Since 2007, starting my 9th job tomorrow...soon to be 10.

If you have a good relationship with the local guy, and get to keep "your" customers, I'd take that.

6 day week, I'd only consider for 6-8 months, and it may as well be over winter.

What's the road like on the commute? I picture a New Zealand commute beautiful curvy country roads with the sun shinning. I would consider the job a way to sustain a lifestyle of riding.

I've just come back from 2 weeks in NZ, and couldn't help but notice how expensive fuel was - around $2:06 per litre in the Wellington area?

That's going to add up quickly if you're doing 560km per week. Not to mention the time factor, that commute would be what, almost an hour each way? That'll get old pretty fast...

It's great that you're getting job offers though!

Originally Posted By: Silk
They will all match the pay I'm already on, but if fuel costs are $2 an hour, then I'm taking a $2 an hour drop in income. Not too worried about a commute, but it will be on a 31 year old motorcycle and a 22 year old car. The one in town is with my old service manager, I've known him for years, and I know what he'll get me doing...all the safety inspections, hey, nice easy (and boring) work for an old guy. I am the only one in town able to do motorcycle inspections, and I'll also bring customers with me. The one in the city 30km south is more interesting to me, lots of work, and real work, not PD's or inspections, but he's also talking about saturdays, not mornings, a whole day. A 6 day week ? Am I up for that ? The 4th one I'm letting ride, they still want me, but too many undercurrents.
I haven't approached them for any of these jobs, they have all contacted me.
Since 2007, starting my 9th job tomorrow...soon to be 10.

From my point of view, the one doing safety inspections nearby for a guy you already know sounds the best...UNLESS you are not planning to retire anytime soon and want to keep your skills up. If the global economy takes a dip anytime soon (which I kind of expect for a number of reasons), it might be tougher to find work down the road if you were "just" doing inspections for an extended period of time.
Otherwise, sounds like a great way to slide into retirement if you are not planning to keep working for several more years.

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
I would love for my commute to be anywhere in NZ

This!

Hey Silk, sorry this is off topic. My wife may get offered a position in NZ (Wellington) and I would be looking for a job as a tech. I have been a Honda/Acura dealer tech for 15 years now. What are the tech jobs like these days?

Can I send you a PM about it? Might make a difference on whether we go or not. Being a dealer tech here in Canada is a pretty good gig pay wise. Not sure what it is like there.

I drive 25 miles each way everyday. My drive is on a nice, 2 lane country back road where the worst traffic is a farm tractor. I use the drive time to clear my head, get ready for the day, or decompress and let go of the day's issues. I find the drive relaxing and enjoyable... much better than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours like friends do in Atlanta.

You have to decide what is important to you and which job you'll enjoy the most. Sometimes your rate of pay isn't the most important thing.

Why have a long commute? Are locked in to your current home for some reason. Commuting for work is crazy. If its a good job with a good raise move!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If you have a good relationship with the local guy, and get to keep "your" customers, I'd take that.

6 day week, I'd only consider for 6-8 months, and it may as well be over winter.

I agree. You are known and respected, With your skills there will be new opportunities. Good luck dude.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I agree. You are known and respected, With your skills there will be new opportunities. Good luck dude.

+1000 6 days a week will get tiresome VERY quickly, so will the commute. Go for the local job even if it is mainly inspections. Consider getting a small premises and doing some work on your own.

Also consider Tax. The more you earn, the more you pay. Often working less can make very little differance to your bottom line.
Couple that to a small part time busness (tax write off) and like me, you could find yourself reducing the days you work at your regular job, while building a clientèle for work that you choose to do, with equal or more income.

Any commute less than 1/2 hour is fine by me. Around here, commutes are between 0 and 2 hrs (or more) one way. It all depends on what you do with the commute ... iPod and NPR episodes like Fresh Air will get you through easy enough
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back