recommendation ATF for worn out clutch pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have 4l60e transmission that leaked out all trans fluid (rusted cooler lines) and likely has worn out clutch pack and seal.
But it still runs but there is a delayed engagement @ 3-4 and just a little jerky on the 1-2 (depending on timing and acceleration), kind of annoying more than anything else.

I want to do another ATF full flush and filter change, but want to experiment a bit to get (possibly) a little smoother shifting. I already changed the solenoids on it.

Do you recommend Dexron 6 blend or full synthetic in this case? And perhaps lubeguard additive on top?

Thanks

Last edited:
You could try the spec ATF and a bottle of LG red. It might help a bit, although if the parts are actually worn out I think you'll eventually be looking at a rebuild.

Maxlife and LG red, the BITOG transmission elixir.

I assume he meant whatever atf is specified for your vehicle. Depending on age dexron 3?

I know how those shifts you describe feel, especially that 1-2.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
if the parts are actually worn out I think you'll eventually be looking at a rebuild.

NO ATF fluid in the world (NONE) will fix a worn clutch pack.

thanks, and it's a 2007.

I'm not sure if it's a myth or just plain misinformation, but I have read that fully synthetic ATF can be "too slippery" for the clutches.

Is that true? would it therefore be beneficial not to use fully synthetic if the clutch pack is (slightly) worn and therefore more friction the better?

Originally Posted By: tookien
thanks, and it's a 2007.

I'm not sure if it's a myth or just plain misinformation, but I have read that fully synthetic ATF can be "too slippery" for the clutches.

Is that true? would it therefore be beneficial not to use fully synthetic if the clutch pack is (slightly) worn and therefore more friction the better?

That is not true.....the add pack will determine how "slippery" the fluid is.

You're probably fighting a losing battle here, but I would skip the Dexron-VI and go with a thicker fluid, like TES-295 and add 16 oz. of LubeGard Red with it. The esters in LubeGard might help some, but it's no guarantee.

LG has the 32oz, the 10oz and 2oz bottles.

the more the better?

The 10oz bottle is good for most automatic transmissions. You can shoot them an email and they'll give you a dose/per quart of ATF, then base it on the transmission's capacity.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
I have read that the old Ford style fluid is thicker and can help with low pressures and slow shifts.

Yes but it won't replace worn out material or a unit in need of a rebuild as I alluded to earlier.

Is the 1-2 hard shift a bad sign? I have a 2000 Silverado same transmission, with the same feel 180k Miles, and a rebuilt transmission about 60k ago.

Last edited:
Maxlife ATF and Lubeguard Red. What have you got to lose? Won't fix it but it will make it more comfortable until it expires
grin.gif

Last edited:
thanks everyone.

I will try lubeguard and maxlife.
I'll look into the TES-295 as well.

ofcourse I don't intend to fix the issue with clutch pack and seal with this,
I only want to see if I can reduce some of the associated symptoms.

if I can, then it's considered "solved" for me.

anyone hear of Mag1?

I'm looking at:

Mag 1 MG0LD6P6 Dexron IV-Mercon LV Full Synthetic

anyone hear of Mag1?

I'm looking at:

Mag 1 MG0LD6P6 Dexron IV-Mercon LV Full Synthetic

There is nothing wrong with Mag1
smile.gif

Mag1 is made by WPP, which supplies a lot of the house brands.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
if the parts are actually worn out I think you'll eventually be looking at a rebuild.

NO ATF fluid in the world (NONE) will fix a worn clutch pack.

Best response. No fluid or additive will add material back to a worn off clutch. A rebuild will be in his future.

I'm putting my flame suit on but Lucas Trans fix/Stop slip stuff works miracles in worn autos. I've personally had success with it many times, it won't fix anything but it will buy you time...

Just don't try to pour it in when its cold! That is some thick stuff!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back