Traveller 15w-40 @ Tractor Supply NEW Manufacturer

Traveller 15w40 Diesel oil has had a decent reputation over the years and was made by Warren Distrubution however now it apparently is made by Martin Lubricants. Does any of you have any info on it. I know it’s on Fordsapproved list I’m just curious about the additive package in this CJ-4 / SN oil now made by a different company. Does Martin have a better reputation than Warren? I’m just trying to figure out if the new Traveller 15w40 is better quality than previous, same or better. Any info would be appreciated.
Also.... I know Fords new Diesel oil requirement is not met by all companies CK4. But is the requirement a Min of 1,000 PPM of Phosphorus? I, asking because that is what Motorcraft advertises on their bottles now. I’m assuming that means all oils on Fords approved list are a min of 1000 ppm? Is this correct.

You probably know about as much regarding Martin vs. Warren as most of us.
Some folks do wrap themselves up in the nuances of lubes, to a point where they'll debate the silliest of little things, hoping for "better" or "best".

Overall, most licensed/approved fluids will do a fine job, and you'd be hard pressed to show any real proof that one lube is "better" than another. I'm not talking about marketing hype and rhetoric; I speak of credible, tangible data that conclusively would show one lube superior to another. Even if you could find it (doubtful), it would only apply to the test conditions, and any changes would reset the conditions and therefore the results. Macro data will tell you more about what you need to know; don't worry too much about micro data.

Read this to start off ...
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Last edited:
I have used TSC travellers oil for over 25 years now with no issues. OIn the rare occasions that TSC was out of stock I usually go with NAPA just becuase both TSC and NAPA are within a mile of my house, so is Wal mart , but I hate going to Wal Mart and maybe find myself in Wal Mart maybe once or twice per year and that is too much. TSC oil is a fine oil millions of farmers and ranchers use it in their expensive tractors and farm equipment.

Originally Posted By: TravisR1020
Traveller 15w40

I’m assuming that means all oils on Fords approved list are a min of 1000 ppm? Is this correct.

Yes. See link. 1000-1200 ppm P.

noln.net/2017/08/21/clearing-up-fords-diesel-oil-statement/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Some folks do wrap themselves up in the nuances of lubes, to a point where they'll debate the silliest of little things, hoping for "better" or "best".

Overall, most licensed/approved fluids will do a fine job, and you'd be hard pressed to show any real proof that one lube is "better" than another. I'm not talking about marketing hype and rhetoric; I speak of credible, tangible data that conclusively would show one lube superior to another. Even if you could find it (doubtful), it would only apply to the test conditions, and any changes would reset the conditions and therefore the results. Macro data will tell you more about what you need to know; don't worry too much about micro data.

Very nice article David.

Thanks for posting. Reading with interest!

It seems they have switched again? Started noticing this new bottle online and just saw it in store for the first time today. Anyone recognize the logo on bottom?

Attachments

• 20211201_140048_HDR.jpg
    20211201_140048_HDR.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 20211201_140116~2.jpg
    20211201_140116~2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 187
Was wondering this myself. The last test pqia did was pretty good looking but I'm not sure about this new stuff. They have also raised the price on it here locally to the point of where its not that much cheaper than going name brand.

This is enough of a red flag to make me cautious bout using their products.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/calfornia-penalizes-smittys-751-155.265202/
Look at the PQIA report, this was blown out of proportion, as far as I'm concerned they did nothing wrong, it was labeled as it was recommended for use where an API SJ oil was called for and it fits that criteria for that from what I see, this is far less of a problem than places that were selling non-detergent oil that was only declared API SA, and even then if a consumer bought it and poured it in their engine and it caused damage that's their fault because the consumer made the wrong choice and used oil outside of what was specified by their vehicle manufacturer.

Look at the PQIA report, this was blown out of proportion, as far as I'm concerned they did nothing wrong, it was labeled as it was recommended for use where an API SJ oil was called for and it fits that criteria for that from what I see, this is far less of a problem than places that were selling non-detergent oil that was only declared API SA, and even then if a consumer bought it and poured it in their engine and it caused damage that's their fault because the consumer made the wrong choice and used oil outside of what was specified by their vehicle manufacturer.

This may indeed be blown out of proportion but it complaint is broader than just engine oil.

1638806180686.jpg

Over the years, there has been a solid user base of TSC's Traveller All Fleet Engine 15W-40 diesel oil. It's my understanding that this oil was blended by Warren Distribution for many years, and it was deemed very good diesel oil by users here on this site. TSC then changed the oil blender to Martin Lubricants, and the PQIA analysis for the oil looked pretty good. The oil continued to be highly regarded by BITOG members.

The last time I was at TSC, I noticed that the label on the oil container changed, but I did not look at the bottom of the jug. Now, it appears that the TSC has changed the oil blender again for Traveller All Fleet. I sent a email to TSC requesting confirmation that Traveller All Fleet is currently being blended by Smitty's Supply Incorporated, and I am waiting for a response. My guess if TSC changed blenders, it's about cost...it always is.

Back