QuickStruts and ride height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped my buddy install 4 Monroe QuickStruts on his Toyota this weekend. Aside from some rusty bolts, the job went well and the car rides great. The rear now sits up a little taller than the front. Is this normal?

I put QuickStruts on my I35 a few years back and don't remember a change in ride height.

It's pretty normal for them to be a little bit higher initially. After a few weeks with some weight on the springs, the ride height will settle down a little.

Depending on how the rear assembly mounts, you might want to do the final torque with either the car on the ground or the suspension arm compressed as it would be under the weight of the car. Likely though, the rear end will settle down over time.

Every spring I have replaced always sat high intially and then settled down. Hpefully the ones on the other end aren't sagging. I always waited a little before getting aligned.

The QuickStruts on my '02 Camry worked like that, too. It may've been a measure of how sacked out the OEM springs were. Mine now have 100K miles on them, and the rears still seem a little higher, but ride fine, and it carries my son's and his buddies' golf bags without looking squashed. I actually hope the newly-available QuickStruts for the rear end my wife's '11 Highlander do the same thing; the Highlander seems fairly undersprung for a big vehicle, and it squats a bit in the rear when accelerating, etc., even though we've never loaded it heavily or towed anything.

Last edited:
While on vacation 2 years ago the drivers side front strut bearing failed on my 2007 Fusion. I had only that strut replaced, and never saw any change in height.

Originally Posted By: tig1
While on vacation 2 years ago the drivers side front strut bearing failed on my 2007 Fusion. I had only that strut replaced, and never saw any change in height.

It's the spring that determines the ride height not the strut. The strut just does the damping. The quick strut is one assembly with both spring and strut. So new springs always take a little while to settle down once they have some weight on them. Just a strut change wouldn't affect ride height.

I'll let him know to give the springs some time to settle. Thanks for the info fellas
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back