2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was passing by a Toyota dealership today and i spoted this FJ for sale; it is a 2014 model, with 51k miles on its odometer and asking price $32k

I was wondering what’s the community's take on FJ Cruiser, please

I thank You!

If you want an FJ you're going to pay for it, since discontinued prices are going up. They aren't rare but they are dear. That price is in line with the market here in Az. Worth it, you decide.

I just searched CL and Autotrader, there are no cheap low mileage FJs here.

Rode in one years ago, absolutely hated it. If you want off road, get a new 4Runner for a similar price.

pay more now sell for more later, at one point couple years ago it carried the highest % resale of recent production vehicles.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
If you want an FJ you're going to pay for it, since discontinued prices are going up. They aren't rare but they are dear. That price is in line with the market here in Az. Worth it, you decide.

I just searched CL and Autotrader, there are no cheap low mileage FJs here.

Yup, they're loved by those that have them, are awesome off road, and are no longer made and therefore expensive. No windows for dogs, and as noted, rear visibility isn't the greatest.

If you're single they're great. But the suicide doors are a bear to get into the rear seat. You could get a new 4Runner for about the same and they have the same engine/trans/chassis.

They are wonderful machines. My dad has a 2007 6 speed manual. It has been through heck and back, I might post a picture of it tomorrow, it has seen better days. Thousands and thousands of off-road miles, hard miles drug through trees and across the desert. Has around 130k miles and it's only ever had an alternator replaced and the throwout bearing (under warranty, common problem on the older manuals). Everything else is original including the coolant and spark plugs, even the serpentine belt. It is unstoppable off-road. Good handling too.

It needs the front end redone due to the hard miles so we'll fix it up one of these days.

That price seems right in line with what I saw them for last year when I was looking for an SUV/Truck. I test drove a 2008... I liked it, but it felt pretty sluggish and the visibility was indeed poor.

If you need to have the styling, nothing else will cut it. But as almost everyone has said... a 4runner makes alot more sense.

These have the 4Runner beat IMO.

Available with no carpet and a 6 speed manual. Rugged and simple.

As much as I like the 4Runner, they are nowhere near as cool as these.

Here's a picture of it today. He paid $23k for it in 2012 at 60k miles. It's a base model. Hasn't been washed in a couple years, he couldn't care less. It's a machine.

qxus0h.jpg

Did you dad buy it as is or did he set it up? Good to hear they hold up to real use and for the rest of the world that's called "Arizona pin striping" on the door. Most FJs, like the one that started this thread, will never see dirt on the tires much less get used. Will it hang with the Jeep Nick?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Did you dad buy it as is or did he set it up? Good to hear they hold up to real use and for the rest of the world that's called "Arizona pin striping" on the door. Most FJs, like the one that started this thread, will never see dirt on the tires much less get used. Will it hang with the Jeep Nick?
He did all the work to it. He bought it certified-preowned in May of 2012. It was in perfect condition, the underside was so clean you could eat off of it and had never been off-road.

It's actually a bit more capable than my Jeep. More ground clearance, more suspension flex, bigger tires, and a factory locker in the rear.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Have you looked at a Nissan Xterra?

Sorry, I was just asking because I was also very interested in the FJ, but was turned off by the prices they were demanding. It seems the Xterra is a nearly equivalent vehicle in performance/capability, but is demanding lower prices.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
don't take all your good Toyota monies to a Nissan dealer, foolish long run.

If you purchase an Xterra after 2007 (the major re-design) from the looks of it, the quality is quite comparable. Both are above average for defects.

Those are from dashboard-light.com.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
don't take all your good Toyota monies to a Nissan dealer, foolish long run.

Do you ever take a day off? Being such a hardcore fanboy has to be exhausting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back