Want to take my kids to see a launch @ Cape Canav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says; I want to take my 10 & 7-year-old down to Kennedy Space Center for a rocket launch. My plan is to make it a 3 day (2 night) trip. If their school gives them an excused absence; I'd like to catch a flight from Louisville to Orlando, rent a car for two days, get a hotel in Titusville, and get tickets for a decent spot. I'm not crazy about flying, and neither are my kids, but flying down and back in 3 days is the only way we would be able to do this. My plan is to fly Allegiant if possible. 2nd choice is Southwest.

I'd like to hear from anyone who lives around Kennedy, or from someone who has been to a launch. Input, recommendations, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Launch Calendar

Thanks in advance.

Are you prepared for a launch cancellation if you buy tickets, arrive and it gets pushed back a week at the last minute?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Are you prepared for a launch cancellation if you buy tickets, arrive and it gets pushed back a week at the last minute?

I realize that's a possibility. My kids have never flown so the flight down and back should be its own adventure. I could always take them to the air or the law enforcement museum. There's also the option of touring Kennedy Space Center.

I was going to post that but didn’t want to have him second guessing his trip.

This time of the year the weather is nice, it’s summer time when launches get rescheduled due to the weather. Kennedy Space Center takes the entire day to visit and walk around, that alone is worth the trip.

I did get to watch 7 space shuttle launches, I even called in sick a few times just to see it in person and experience it.

I went when I was younger, pretty neat to see especially as a kid. They will like it.

My youngest and I watched Juno launch in the summer of 2011. It was so cool to see it arrive at Jupiter five years later.

Allegiant and Spirit have terrible reliability. Jet Blue is big in Orlando, as is Southwest.

I would strongly encourage you to plan another activity, since you’re already going down there. Universal Orlando is a lot of fun for kids that age, so is Disney. That way, if the launch delays, you’ll have options.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Allegiant and Spirit have terrible reliability. Jet Blue is big in Orlando, as is Southwest.

Jet Blue doesn't fly out of Louisville and Southwest is twice as much as Allegiant. I'm okay with a 30-minute delay if it saves me $600.

I did it years ago with my grandson and he still talks about it 6 years later. Be sure and tour in the SPACE SHUTTLE and check out the massive engines. That alone is worth the trip to me. Ed

Do it Do it Do it.

I will forever regret not going down to FL to see the very last and final Space Shuttle launch. Once in a lifetime thing, missed.

Happened to me twice.

Didn't ge to the extreme of buying tickets, but I happened to be in the area during the scheduled launches.

Ive watched hundreds of launches from Vandenberg AFB and then later Cape Canaveral. My dad worked on the missiles at Vandernberg, and later the Space Shuttle. My sister works for Space X. Try to get tickets for the launch pad if you can. If not, you can watch for free along the roadway for literally a 30 mile stretch from Titusville to Merritt Island to Cocoa Beach.

I went over a few weeks ago for the Space X heavy launch. Pretty cool.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Do it Do it Do it.

I will forever regret not going down to FL to see the very last and final Space Shuttle launch. Once in a lifetime thing, missed.

I'm pumped about doing. My wife (she's anti-airplane) is not. I thought we could video record portions of the trip and make a video journal for the kids to present to their classes once we come back. That should also help with getting an excused absence.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Ive watched hundreds of launches from Vandenberg AFB and then later Cape Canaveral. My dad worked on the missiles at Vandernberg, and later the Space Shuttle. My sister works for Space X. Try to get tickets for the launch pad if you can. If not, you can watch for free along the roadway for literally a 30 mile stretch from Titusville to Merritt Island to Cocoa Beach.

I went over a few weeks ago for the Space X heavy launch. Pretty cool.

I'd like to get tickets if I can. That might push us out later in the year since I've heard they can sell out pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back