Napa Gold 1348 3285mi 87 4Runner C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on my 4Runner for about 5 months with Rotella T4 10w30 CK-4. No issues to report, ADBV nice and flexible as it should be. Will follow up with a drained picture of the media side by side with a Car Quest Red Affina made filter off my Lexus. This filter has about the same number of pleats as the CQ red but the media is thicker. The Napa filter uses a thread end bypass compared to the CQ dome end.

Delo 400SD 15w30 and a TG3614 went back in and on. Sample sent to blackstone for analysis.

Here's a few comparison pictures I took from the element assemblies from the Napa Gold Left and CQ Red on the right. Keep in mind this is not the current production CQ Red and is probably most representative of a Napa Silver or a MicroGuard Wix filter.

Luke: great pics and that engine must be real easy on oil
smile.gif

Happy Easter and Thank You for C&P sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Luke: great pics and that engine must be real easy on oil
smile.gif

Happy Easter and Thank You for C&P sir
smile.gif

No worries Car51, the engine is still plugging along at 335,000 and change. I've noted a slight increase in iron in a ppm/mi basis over the past 2 years so I'm trying some 10/15w30 HDEOs these past few changes to see if I can get wear rates back to where they previously were. In terms of TBN retention the engine seems to do pretty well despite having significantly more blow by compared to the Lexus as evidenced by how much darker the 4Runner oil filter media is compared to the Lexus despite having run more miles on the filter off the Lexus.

All things considered it runs really well for its age and mileage and doesn't seem to beat up oil very bad at all, I'm changing the lube way earlier than the lube is capable of for sure.

Originally Posted By: littleant
FlyNavyP3 Filter looks real good Thanks for the C&P. Am I reading the 87 4runner correct. It's 30 years old. If it is how many miles and is it rust free.

As of today it has 335,307 miles, purchased from the original owner 7 years ago. Had 255,150 miles on it back then. 22RE 5sp. Original never rebuilt short block. About 5 years ago I put on a spare cylinder head I had with a RV cam to bump the power a little bit. The head had to come off anyway to fix an external head gasket weep anyway so I replaced it with a fresh cylinder head and upgraded camshaft. Timing chain was replaced at the same time.

Yes it is a 1987 and it's my daily driver. Oh and yes it's rust free.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
FlyNavyP3 Filter looks real good Thanks for the C&P. Am I reading the 87 4runner correct. It's 30 years old. If it is how many miles and is it rust free.

As of today it has 335,307 miles, purchased from the original owner 7 years ago. Had 255,150 miles on it back then. 22RE 5sp. Original never rebuilt short block. About 5 years ago I put on a spare cylinder head I had with a RV cam to bump the power a little bit. The head had to come off anyway to fix an external head gasket weep anyway so I replaced it with a fresh cylinder head and upgraded camshaft. Timing chain was replaced at the same time.

Amazing and rust free to boot. You have to keep it. Let us know when you hit 500,000. Bet it will.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Amazing and rust free to boot. You have to keep it. Let us know when you hit 500,000. Bet it will.
10.gif

I have no intention of selling it, the goal is 400,000 on the original short block. As of right now it uses no oil and has given no indication that it won't make it there. I have a really nice new engine sitting waiting to go in the truck to replace the original engine. The original thought was I'd change engines at 300,000 miles. But the original engine runs so [censored] well I can't bring myself to change it.

I really like the NAPA Gold 1348 and WIX 51348 filters. They are very close in construction to the Motorcraft FL-910s. For folks who don’t like using Purolator made filters, the WIX/NAPA Gold in this series is a great choice.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I really like the NAPA Gold 1348 and WIX 51348 filters. They are very close in construction to the Motorcraft FL-910s. For folks who don’t like using Purolator made filters, the WIX/NAPA Gold in this series is a great choice.

Yup, WIX: QUALITY

MOTORCRAFT: Unknown quality

Excellent looking filter. Even pleating all around... couldn't identify the seam, or did you hide it?

Have there been any wix/napa gold filters with torn media? This might be my go to filter in the ATS with the oversized 57502 and the 22psi bypass.

What was the pleat count?

You can definitely see a difference in the thickness of the media between the Napa and the CQ.

Originally Posted By: webfors

You can definitely see a difference in the thickness of the media between the Napa and the CQ.

I still have both in the garage, I'll count tomorrow and let you know.

Unsurprisingly, looks good at 3.3k mi fci. I'm currently running a 1348 two ocis and 2years on a relatively lightly driven 3.4L Tacoma. Should come off in June and I'm not expecting any surprises. Also use this application on my Kohler engine ride on mower.

Thanks for c&p.

Very good question. I'm not saying there hasn't ever been a tear, but these Napa Gold filters that folks have posted here have generally looked pretty good, regardless of the mileage. I had one that car51 cut and posted here, at 7000, that looked like it was capable of several thousand miles more.

Have there been any wix/napa gold filters with torn media? This might be my go to filter in the ATS with the oversized 57502 and the 22psi bypass.

Last edited:

Napa Gold 1348 49 pleats including glued seam.

CQ Red 85348 45 pleats including glued seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back