Rotella T6 + T4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5/40 in my 2006 Ford F-350 6.0 Diesel. I had some engine work done and the shop added 2 quarts of Rotella T4 Conventional 15/40 because some oil was lost. I only had about 50 miles on the T6. Should I change it or leave it go until my usual oil change of 3000 miles.

Doesnt the 6.0 diesel use the engine oil for something other than a lube in its engine? thinking I read something like 3,000 PSI and high heat running a pump or something? Super rough on the oil, especially conventional oil.

I wouldn't waste the rest of the new 5w40. That 2 qts. is a pretty small percentage considering it mixed in with 3 more gallons of the T6, and though I wouldn't, I know several guys that run 15w40 in their 6.0's. And bulletproofed or not, 3K sounds like a real waste especially on T6.

Last edited:
I ran 5K OCIs on the '03 6.0 PSD I had, the later 6.0s seem a little better than the earlier ones were. I would run it the full 5K and put in T4 10W30-it's just as good cold as the T6 and costs roughly half as much.

Originally Posted By: garyw
Yes, the 6.0 has been bulletproofed and deleted. I think the oil also drives the injectors.

Yes, your engine oil drives your injectors. Your motor has a high pressure oil pump "HPOP" mounted on the top front block next to your fuel bowl that pressurizes the injectors. That's why your motor takes so much oil. It is referred to as a HEUI injector, Hydraulically actuated Electronically controlled Unit Injectors.

P.S. even 5k oil change is overkill unless it takes you a year to accumulate 5k.

The HEUI Fords are famous for shearing 5w40, so the oil probably ends up a 5w30. 15w40 and 10w30 stay in grade better in those engines. A couple of quarts of T4 15w40 isn't going to hurt anything.

I only put on 5000 miles or less in a year. I will just change it once a year. If I switch to T4 15-40, won't it be pretty thick on a -20 degree morning and take a while to get up in the engine?

Originally Posted By: garyw
I only put on 5000 miles or less in a year. I will just change it once a year. If I switch to T4 15-40, won't it be pretty thick on a -20 degree morning and take a while to get up in the engine?

Yes! 15w40 will give you a harder time starting at -20F. Stick with the synthetic for your application then, didn't notice your from MN, gets really cold there! I change oil in all my vehicles once a year also, I don't even accumulate 5k per year, per vehicle.

Last edited:
Ford only recommends 15W40 down to +20 degrees F. Even 5W40 might be a little thick at -20 *F. Might consider a 0W40 if it gets that low very often.

I am not a big fan of 15W40 in a 6.0L as a general rule. Just because more people seem to experience injector stiction issues w/ 15W40 than 5W40 or 10W30.

Last edited:
Delo & Delvac 1 have been on sale/Rollback at Walmart … a chemistry change once in a while is not a bad idea …
T6 never had a stellar NOACK anyway ...

Hi @GaryW, it’s perfectly fine to leave the mixture of Rotella T4 and T6 until you have your next oil change. These are fully compatible and both Ford approved. Hope this helps!

Gary- I own a 05 6.0h as well, you can easily and safely go 5k miles OCI's on that truck. I do it with the dino Rotella 10W30 and oil reports always look great. I was always a 15W40 advocate in a diesel but after a long stint of 10W30 OCI's and then putting some 15W40 in this go round, man what a difference!!! It heavily affects the 6.0!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back