2019 Infiniti QX50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took delivery. Owners manual calls for “ester SN oil.” Not sure there are many of those around. Am I a hostage to the dealer for his Nissan SN ester oil?

Thoughts? Thanks

No. I just glanced at the manual, and the wording is much the same as the manual for mine, and various other Nissans and Infinitis of recent years. Any SN 5w-30 will do. It doesn't even have to be SN/GF-5. You can use SN/GF-5, one that is SN and A5/B5, SN and C3, and even CK-4/SN like I'm using now.

Though I also disagree with having to use "ester" oil....Nissan OEM oil is cheaper than dirt on amazon/ebay so you shouldnt be slave to the dealer.

Last edited:
Thanks. I might not have been concerned were it not for this new engine and wondering if it had “special needs.” But if the manual is worded same as past Nissan/Infiniti manuals, less of a concern. Do you know who actually makes the OEM branded oil? Again, thanks.

I don't have anything technical to add to this thread other than to say welcome back! I was looking through some old GC posts the other day and saw your comments on some of them, and then noticed that you hadn't posted on this site since 2016. So don't go disappearing on us again old friend!
11.gif

And congrats on the new car! Let's see some pics!

Thanks so much Patman. Life has a way of taking us in and out of things as I am sure you know. Still “Vetting” I see. I still consider the GC period a life highlight. Was great fun. I was looking over the Castrol website. What a ton of oils they sell now. Wow, Bio even!

I really liked this vehicle, but it didn't past my loaded double ski bag in the cargo area with only half the rear seat folded down test.
I'm sure it would have been tons of fun to drive.

V_P,

Have only had it a day but the test drive showed great promise. We are looking forward to it. As much a computer as an automobile! Had our FX-35 for ten years (117,000 miles) and except for an airbag recall only needed scheduled mx—no repairs—during that entire period. I like to think its steady diet of (mostly) original GC had something to do with it. Sorry the car didnt work out for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
Thanks so much Patman. Life has a way of taking us in and out of things as I am sure you know. Still “Vetting” I see. I still consider the GC period a life highlight. Was great fun.

It sure was! Reading those old threads in a strange way sort of helped give me the inspiration to switch my wife's BMW from M1 0w40 over to German Castrol 0w40. Hopefully it's still made by magical elves!

happy2.gif

Trust me; they are still hanging around. Older now though so not as mobile as they used to be!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Congrats on your new QX50. That’s a really nice looking crossover. You’re right, they are half computer these days. I enjoy our CX5 with all its little niceties like heated seats and wheels. It really helps my old bones in the morning.

You have the new VC turbo engine? Keep us updated on how she runs. It’s sounds like a nice kit.

Yes it is the VC turbo. I am a pushover for turbos. I will post updates on its life. I have a stash of Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 that i got for a terrific price. Think it would like it?

Sounds like a winner.

It does seem like all these crossovers are looking very similar these days. Your front grill though defines your car.

Many say silver is boring but not me. I think it’s perfect for that vehicle.

Ours is silver as well.

Our FX-35 was black...collected heat in summer and showed every little nit.

And yes, it is amazing the styling similarities from Audi to Jag to Merc to Infiniti and Beyond
lol.gif

Yes it is the VC turbo. I am a pushover for turbos. I will post updates on its life. I have a stash of Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 that i got for a terrific price. Think it would like it?

I think that oil is a fine choice, have run it in my 2.0l DIT engine before. Low calcium and sodium formulation that helps resist LSPI, plus a very high HTHS for its grade that might help if you really like to push the engine hard and/or live in a very warm climate. It is a low SAPS oil with a low starting TBN, though, so probably not a great choice for long OCIs on US fuel.
Didn't realize until seeing this thread that they had gone with a turbo 4 instead of the V6 in this vehicle, sounds like a very interesting engine...I'm jealous that it has DI as well as PFI so you won't have to worry about intake valve deposits like I do with my DI-only engine!

You all are getting me more enthused post by post
11.gif
Calls for 7500mi intervals. Too long for ESP?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back