Snapper Garden Tractor won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
my Snapper GT300 with 24HP Briggs won't start. Shut it off last fall under deck covered with a tarp to minimize water and snow. Shop i bought it from stores them outside. Battery went dead but took a charge and holding it fine. I hear 1 click when i turn key. Starter does not spin. I am thinking it should be something simple and hoping someone here has suggestions. Less than 270 hours on motor. Ran great when I shut it off. Expect it will run great once I get it going.
Thanks

Yes I was sitting in the seat and it has parking brake on. Hydrostatic pedals automatically return to neutral. Oh and I should add the mower drive belts or PTO is down for off. All good questions I should have added that detail.
Thanks

In that case, there are a couple of other things to check. One is the ignition switch and the other is the starter solenoid. Check and see if your wiring is tight and you have a good ground. The seat safety switch is another possibility. If you know how to check things with a multimeter, that will narrow things down.

The battery is likely bad. Lead acid batteries don't like going dead. It may take a charge but it probably can't supply enough current to turn over the starter.

Can you load test the battery?

Try to jump start the tractor.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
The battery is likely bad. Lead acid batteries don't like going dead. It may take a charge but it probably can't supply enough current to turn over the starter.

Can you load test the battery?

+1

If the battery is actually good, you may have a bad battery cable or connection.

All the "safety switches" everywhere are very likely the culprit.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan

NEVER EVER EVER jump from a running car or truck!
You'll fry the voltage regulator in the lawn tractor!

I have seen the solenoid go bad, but you heard a click. You can test by using a jumper from the hot side of the battery to the starter post, with the switch on. Depending on safeties you might have to be sitting on the seat to keep it running.

Unless you have measured the battery voltage , its suspect. Lead acid batteries won't sit long discharged and still be salvageable

I tried jump starting it using the battery charger and still nothing but the same click. it is a single click that seems to be coming from the ignition switch. I will try checking the seat safety switch next. To me those seem to be very problematic with many older mowers having them by passed. Mowing on my hill it is really probably quite a good thing to have just in case of run away mower.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I tried jump starting it using the battery charger and still nothing but the same click. it is a single click that seems to be coming from the ignition switch. I will try checking the seat safety switch next. To me those seem to be very problematic with many older mowers having them by passed. Mowing on my hill it is really probably quite a good thing to have just in case of run away mower.

How do you know the battery is good? Unless you have a charger made for starting, you should not try that. You at least need to check the resting voltage of the battery. If the battery is ok, try bypassing the starter solenoid.

The click is more than likely the relay kicking in. This should be passing high current to the starter. So I would say the problem is not any switches but either the starter or wiring between the relay or wiring from battery to relay.

I could be the battery is so bad that once the relay kicks in the voltage drops to below what it takes to spin the motor. Taking a voltage reading while holding the key in start would tell the tale.

Ok Thanks.
I will try and it is a smart charger and does have a start function on it. Problem is still not even attempting to turn over. It does have a battery test function that I have not tried yet.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I give out this advice, but....
Get yourself a $5 test light and see exactly how far your electricity is getting.

Got one of those and didn't think of that. Great idea and why I ask on here to help me analyze the potential problem
Thanks Everyone

smile.gif

Still one of the quickest tests is to bypass the solenoid by jumping directly to the starter post. Mower out of gear, key on and see if it turns over/starts.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I wish I had a dollar for every time I give out this advice, but....
Get yourself a $5 test light and see exactly how far your electricity is getting.

yes or DMM . also could try the old "whack" the starter trick

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Still one of the quickest tests is to bypass the solenoid by jumping directly to the starter post. Mower out of gear, key on and see if it turns over/starts.

yep. take a single side of the jumper cable, connect one end to batt (+) and tap the other to the power stud on the starter. If it doesn't spin, battery can't carry it.

-M

Crossing the two big posts on the solenoid with an old screwdriver or other metal object you don't care much about should make the starter and engine spin. This tests the battery, starter, and big power and ground wires. The solenoid, interlock switches, key switch, and small wiring are bypassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back