New Valvoline Modern Engine Oil (GDI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw Valvoline 5W30 synthetic oil designed for "modern engines" of 2012 or newer for $34.00 per 5 qrt. jug at WM ... *That seems high for a DEXOS1 Gen 2 oil : It's supposed to prevent intake valve carbon deposits but it has a NOACK of 11 ! It's also a KV100 cSt rating of 9.8 for 5W30 which is a low 30 weight oil for sure ... Not sure what is so special about this oil as compared to PP 5W30 DEXOS1 Gen 2 for $25.00 per 5 qrt. jug ?

I am becoming less and less enthralled with Valvoline as time goes by... them seem to be on the downslide.

Years and years ago, they were always my "go to" oil.

Not anymore.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I am becoming less and less enthralled with Valvoline as time goes by... them seem to be on the downslide.

Years and years ago, they were always my "go to" oil.

Not anymore.

Why?

I like valvoline, but I don't see why anybody would need this oil. The regular synthetic and maxlife synthetic both meet Dexos1 gen2.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Just saw Valvoline 5W30 synthetic oil designed for "modern engines" of 2012 or newer for $34.00 per 5 qrt.

Just a my local Wal-Mart tonight and it was $39.97
TOTO.

A light 30wt doesn't bother me. But that level of NOACK for that money? Id expect more. Not sure what they think is the secret sauce here, given the price.

+1
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A light 30wt doesn't bother me. But that level of NOACK for that money? Id expect more. Not sure what they think is the secret sauce here, given the price.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
It's Valvoline's response to M1 Annual Protection.

Lots of suckers out there who will pay the $35 for what is perceived to be a high-end oil.

Well that's some bad advice if they took it. Retailers are sitting on a mountain of AP.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

With a turbo DI engine a light 30 wt can easily shear to a 20 wt. Regular Mobil 1 5W-30 has a viscosity of 11 @ 100*C and a noak of 10.1. It's Dexos 1 Gen 2 & Honda HTO-06 as well as being A5/B5. And it costs less than $26, sometimes less than $23.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back