Back in the day, who used Slick 50 and/or Prolong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*****Raising Hand*****

blush.gif

I used "PMT" (permanent motor treatment), at about 280,000km on my Parent;s R16...it halved the oil consumption from the 1 litre per 5,000km that it was up to.

1986, my gap year was in a service station, and the work ute was a falcon with 250 c.i. six...that was old, really old, and used about a litre of oil per tank of fuel. Nulon "worn engine treatment" dropped that massively...to not draining the sump in 5,000km.

Yes I have used teflon.

Never used Slick 50.
I have used Motor Kote.
Ran into that product working for a trucking company.
Quite a few drivers swore by it.

Used both in my 1987 Nissan Maxima, in addition to Mobil 1 oil, and, one time, in around 1998 or 1999, Valvoline Instant Oil Change forgot to re-install the oil drain plug. I was about 18 or 19 years old at the time, didn't know much about engines, and I wondered why it was making such racket on the way home (about a 2-mile drive). Got home, decided to take it up to Firestone (again, about a 2-mile drive). Got back home, they called a short time later and said, "Mr. Pifer, that car didn't have any oil in it. We put oil in it, started it up, and it quit making any noise."

Now, if I'd known then, what I know now, I probably would have demanded some sort of guarantee or commitment from Valvoline to buy me an engine if it ended up locking up. Being a dumb kid, I didn't pursue the matter.

Did the Slick 50 and Prolong treatments keep it from locking up during that 4 miles? Maybe. I'd bought the car in 1997 or 1998 with around 52,000 miles on the clock. So it probably had 65-70,000 or more when this happened. And it continued to run just fine after this incident until I sold it around 2000.

I have been a sucker for various herpetological extracts going back many years.

The first was one called Lubrilon, in the late 70s. The man at the Sears Auto Centre told me that the gas mileage in his big Ford had leapt from 6 to 8 MPG (Imperial). I did not experience similar results with the clapped-out 307 in my old Impala.

I also tried DuraLube in the early to mid 90s after seeing Pete Conrad plugging it on a video at Canadian Tire. The old Slant Six Plymouth wagon remained about the same.

It sounds like some of you have had good results with Teflon additives though.

Back in the mid 90's when I was a lot younger and not so wise, I fell for the Duralube propaganda. I honestly never really noticed any difference and never bought it again.

I have used Slick 50 in the past.

I worked for a pool company that had a fleet of 10 Toyota trucks, the owner was talked into buying a case of it for the trucks. I was the one that did all the oil changes on these vehicles. After changing the oil and filters on all the trucks, there were 2 bottles left, the owner had me put a bottle in his truck and he said he could put some in my car, so I did. I drove the car for 2 more years, my brother drove it for a few more years till he cracked the block driving with no coolant then deciding to spray cold water all over and in it to cool it off.

I used slick 50 once, back in the 90's on a 200 in. ford in-line six, a few days later the lifters got really noisy, bad enough that I ended up replacing all the lifters/ pushrods. Rebuilt the head at the same time, ran fine for another 50k. Maybe a coincidence but never used it again.

Slick 50 was always so expensive... My dad tried Duralube in his car in the late 80's and it made no difference to any of us, so we never bought anything like it again.

Oh yeah … by the time I sold it 17 years later … my old PowerWagon had a bottle of everything on the shelf run through it …

(All it really needed was valve stem seals) …

I used Slick 50 once---as well as Tufoil, and Arco Graphite. I thought I had time-warped back to those days (mid-80s) when I recently tried Kreen on my Camry's 2AZ-FE.

Call me crazy (or Shirley, whatever), but I usually put 50 drops per quart of Cl2 (cloro) on my new parafinic oils at change.
27.gif

And it smooth things a lot, but throw some add to the bottom, maybe destroing VIIs? Anyway, I like it ...

No it doesn´t corrode my engines, never. Better fuel economy

Not trolling, neither endorsing or giving advice, just comenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back