Horsepower: Do you really use yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and now a V8. I rarely use the horsepower except for the motorcycle. I don't tow, rarely jack rabbit start, floor it or pass vehicles quickly.

I consider myself a laid back driver trying to squeeze mpg.

I also prefer effortless torque.

My driving style involves putting the gas about halfway down. If I want to accelerate slowly I upshift at lower RPM. Otherwise I let it wind out.

About the only place I give 'er 100% is coming up a short bridge onramp that also of course goes uphill to make the bridge. Traffic clusters on the highway there "because reasons" so I often wind up in the left lane 5-10 seconds after the merge, and am at 75 in third gear.
19.gif

I have 4 cylinder, 86HP, 120NM petrol (900kg, short geared), a 150HP, 360NM diesel car (1600kg) and a 160HP, 400NM cargo van (3500-3900 kg).

Petrol and van do need full power in some situations.

If you live and work in
Chicago, try out that 400hp at 2pm,,lol,,all u need then is a bicycle,,, say it ain't true..lol

I recently rented a Dodge Journey with the 3,6 V6, this thing needed to be floored all the time, and I used full power (or almost) quite a few time when I had it. Then I switched to a Nissan Maxima with the 3,5 300hp, and while it was fun to push to redline, almost never needed to push it, even in the Canadian mountains.

For everyday-ness, I want more torque for the feeling of power. Enough to pass other slower vehicles and to get out of harm's way if needed. And even with my 4 cyl engines, I have never wanted nor needed more, and I've owned V6's & V8's.

I don’t think I ever use more than 250 HP on my 352 HP Chev Gen IV 6 liter. In a fast pass it’s shifting at about 4000 rpm at full throttle which equate to about 250 HP. When towing at 3500 rpm it’s making about 225 HP. Never had it at 6000 rpm ever which is required to make 350 HP.

Last edited:
Not only do I enjoy the feeling of strong acceleration, I enjoy driving a car that performs well in every aspect, including responsive cornering and braking.

Where it's acceptable, I enjoy the motoring pleasures.

One thing to keep in mind: Of all the forces a typical car can achieve, (acceleration forward, braking and cornering), acceleration is by far the weakest. A typical family car can achieve 0.85G cornering and sometimes peak at 1G, brake at 1G++, and accelerate at a peak of 0.25G.

We've been conditioned to sense acceleration as a very powerful force. But it's just the opposite. Don't be afraid of it.

Highway entrance ramps.
Passing other cars on highway. Some overtake going only 3 m.p.h. more than the car they are passing.
Traffic lights are timed. So if you take 10 seconds to get to lets say 40 mph is the speed limit, you will hit a red light. If you press on the accelerator with a little more "gusto" than a spider plant you may make the next green light. It's like a Time Speed Distance(TSD)rally. Don't speed or go too slow but get as close as possible to the average speed(in this case the speed limit)as quickly as possible and hold it there.
Here is the controversial, unsubstantiated statement: full throttle does less damage than lugging(a gas motor).

Fly by wire, I have absolutely no understanding of what my right foot tells the throttle and the magic electronic abacus instructs the engine to deliver.

I KNOW that if I'd bought a manual that the magic electronic abacus would take 60NM (12%) off the available torque.

Use all of the available HP? No, not even towing a camper with the 4.3/6 in the truck.

Well yes. When I take the Samurai out on the road and want to travel at 60+ anything uphill is foot to the floor.

Ive never had any issues passing with my 126hp 4. Friend of mine always seemed to think you needed a 6 to pass. Weird mentality to me, ive never felt that way. I would however love to have a DD with 300hp or more as it would be fun to drive but the car payments on a fun 2nd car dont excite me. I still appreciate how great my car has been and still drives quite well for a car with 154k miles.

At 138 horses or thereabouts there are times I use most of them but for the most part this car is about taking off quick at a light and dodging/weaving through traffic as a finesse game more than a power game. Merging onto highways and passing monster trucks sometimes requires more getup - but nothing this car can't handle.

I use all 150 hp in the ti as it is bog slow(0-60 in a bit under 8.5 seconds). Tn the case of the 2er I rarely use all 320 hp unless I'm on the track, at the strip, or if I need to humiliate someone at the Stoplight Grand Prix.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have had 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and now a V8. I rarely use the horsepower except for the motorcycle. I don't tow, rarely jack rabbit start, floor it or pass vehicles quickly.

I consider myself a laid back driver trying to squeeze mpg.

Only when I need to ~ for example; our freeways are 75 mph and guess how many follow that (me only I think) …
So the entrance ramps are not long and are S-shaped … and adding to the issue is Texas law regarding LH lane useage. (Overtake a slower vehicle only)

Add in that many don’t change lanes to let you in? Hammer time ! (Italian tune up)

I take it easy generally, but there are times I use the 395HP to get around slow pokes or to get up to speed quick going onto a highway. Its nice having the power to get going quickly when you need it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back