Generational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a kid in the '60's when Thunderbirds was on TV, fantastic stuff at the time. It was back for reruns when my kids were young, it was a big thing for them, and now there were toys too. And now my granddaughter watches Thunderbirds...the old and the new. We have all the original series, and the new ones too...she wants to watch them when she's here. Incredible how this old TV series can give enjoyment to 3 generations.

Sitting at the dinning room table today while the kids are in the kitchen cooking up a storm...and this stuff is in front of me.

I remember having the pink Rolls Royce and the yellow TB, IIRC the RR was by Dinky a long gone name. Thanks for bringing up old memories it was more than 50 yrs ago.

Both my wife (growing up in NZ) and I (in western Canada) were huge Thunderbirds fans. We introduced our sons to TB in the 90s through VHS tapes, and also bought a model of TB2. (It seems to be a favourite of many.) Pre Thunderbirds I was also a big Fireball XL-5 fan, which my wife does not remember seeing in NZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ifS2nP53Zs

Trivia time: The British Andersons (of Supermarionation fame) wanted to appeal to an American audience, and so named the Tracy brothers after five of the seven Mercury astronauts, thus: Alan (Shepard), Virgil ('Gus' Grissom), John (Glenn), Scott (Carpenter), and Gordon (Cooper). Left out were Wally Schirra, and Donald 'Deke' Slayton.

We selected the posh female voice for our first Garmin GPS, and thereafter referred to it (her) as Penelope.

Originally Posted By: Number_35

Trivia time: The British Andersons (of Supermarionation fame) wanted to appeal to an American audience, and so named the Tracy brothers after five of the seven Mercury astronauts, thus: Alan (Shepard), Virgil ('Gus' Grissom), John (Glenn), Scott (Carpenter), and Gordon (Cooper). Left out were Wally Schirra, and Donald 'Deke' Slayton.

We selected the posh female voice for our first Garmin GPS, and thereafter referred to it (her) as Penelope.

Nice

I loved Thunderbirds back in the day. I always wanted to be Gordon and pilot Thunderbird 4. I also (vaguely!) remember Torchie The Battery Boy & Four Feather Falls which preceded Supercar.

I'm keen to introduce all the Gerry Anderson stuff to my grandson Tommy, but he's only just turned two so it's still a bit advanced for him. So far the big hit has been Thomas The Tank Engine (voiced by Ringo Starr) which my son & daughter watched in the '80s. Yesterday I tried him out on Noggin The Nog which I remember watching as a young boy. He liked it! According to Google it was first shown in 1959!!

Ha Ha .... good idea.

Next try the thick Kiwi accent....."Tuck the thurd luft after the juddar bars, then we'll stup and get sum fush en chups Bro"

The new Thunderbirds is done in New Zealand, and we think it's a hoot when they drop in some local accent or phrase, un noticed by the rest of the world...I think the boys say Bro sometimes.

One that always gets a cackle here is when Lady Penelope and some posh bloke are trapped in a building by a baddy, and he says ''Let us out, we are British !!

A few weeks ago we were all at my daughter's place, birthday of someone, and she puts on a video of the latest Star Wars movie, gets to one spot and runs a 30 second clip several times...and then sits there gloating. We all have no idea what this one line of dialoge means, then she finally tells us - the guy with the one liner in a Star Wars movie was Shane Rimmer, who used to voice Scott on the original Thunderbirds. Yep, big fans alright....

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Nice

It gets sillier ... my wife returned from an evening church service a few minutes ago, and delightedly told me that the (guest) speaker looked (but didn't at all sound) exactly like Lady Penelope's chauffeur Parker.

I would have been interested in seeing his car.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I liked it also and still miss the original Jonny Quest cartoons.

I was also a big Jonny Quest fan. Bought some of the original episodes on VHS back in the 90s for my boys.

I just started my 4 year old on Speed Racer and it is going swimmingly so far
36.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
I watched that and Supercar.
A million years ago, when something work-related failed or an idea went over like a lead balloon, someone would say, "Start za uzzer engine, Mike."

The last time i thought of it, the car's ignition had merely clicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back