Which two oils would you mix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

Just for fun, if you had to mix together and use two fully formulated oils, which two would you select and why?

Not advising this, just thinking about things. I would select two different and complementary oils. My Aussie mix would be Penrite Vantage 10W40 and Nulon Euro 5W30.

Penrite Vantage 10W40 semi-synthetic is a Group II and Group III blend that does much of the heavy lifting with it's add pack. It's rated API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4 and VW 502/505.
It's at the thin end for a 40 grade, with KV100 = 13.5 cSt, but just makes 10W with CCS (-25 C) = 6899 cP very close to the J300 limit of 7000 cP. So a viscosmetrically "tight" oil with low VII treat rate.
It does have a heavy add pack otherwise with,
TBN = 11.0
Zinc = 1220 ppm
Sulphated Ash = 1.1 % (high SAPS)

At the other end we have Nulon Euro 5W30, a full synthetic Group IV (PAO) based oil that carries one of the toughest factory OEM approvals VW 504/507 along with BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, ACEA C3 and API SN. It's at the thick end of the 30 grade with KV100 = 12.04 cSt. The well formulated base stock must do much of the heavy lifting here as it's a low SAPS oil with,
TBN = 5.4
Sulphated Ash = 0.5 %

Mix them together 50:50 and you get a PAO semi-synthetic (not the normal Group III semi-synthetic) with decent SAPS (~ 0.8%), decent TBN (~ 8.2), a good dose of zinc and a viscosity that sits close to the 30 & 40 grade border.

Sure, you don't know how exactly everything will work together, but it would work well enough for me

Currently in wife's Captiva is

A jug (5L) of Helix AG 5W30 - bought 3 jugs at sell out prices.
A Litre of Nulon 25W60 - bought it as a monograde (no VII/PPD upset), high zinc, low S.A. with potentially high levels of brighstock (per Joe)...as an "additive" essentially.

In order to do 3 oil changes with the 3 jugs I could get, SOMETHING had to be mixed..at the end, so decided to "additise" second, fairly unique product.

Would also use Edge 25W50, or M1 V-Twin as an "Additive".

TGMO and M1 V-Twin, I could nearly live with I think.

(Note, no kittens were harmed in this, as I don't have to worry about cold weather performance, 25W-70 has performed fine in my climate)

Did some Q.A. (Quick and Aweful) testing to verify my guesses...

That Edge 25W50 or M1 V-Twin makes sense as an additive oil.

How about the PAO based Nulon Euro 5W30 with Penrite Mono Truck SAE 30. It s a pure Group II monograde with a decent add pack.

TYPICAL DATA (Mono Truck 30)
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.880
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 40°C 84
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 100°C 10.8
Viscosity Index 114
Zinc, Mass % 0.122
Sulphated Ash, Mass % 1.22
Base Number 9.4

Again, mix it 50:50 and that should produce something like a 15W30 semi-synthetic with ample TBN and ZDDP in a low VII package. The Group II & Group IV mix should offer decent oil life.

I agree that it isn't optimal to mix oils but, we're not hurting anything either...when using motor oils. What I mean is, don't mix oil and atf or gear oil.

However, I have mixed so many oils over the past 45 years that you wouldn't believe it. Although I don't really mix anymore unless I have some straggler qts of oil to use up. And when I mixed oils, I ran the OCI the full length, I didn't cut it short just because I had a Frankenbrew.

Even today should I mix in a couple of straggler qts/brand/wgt of oil in an OCI, I run it the full length of the OCI(5k-7K miles) depending on whether it's dino or syn oil.

In the past(~1970s-80s), I have mixed 5 different brands and each brand being a different weight, e.g., 5W30/10W30/10W40/15W40/20W50.

Or even in the early 2000s, after discovering BITOG(Prod/Rebate/Sale section) and buying up a store shelf of oils that were being replaced/discontinued/changing ILSAC spec...0W20/0W30/0W40/5W20/5W30...You get the idea!

Today(just for fun in this thread), If I were to mix, Gee, IDK! I guess I would mix anything because I have never had engine issues due to oil. I've had engine issues due to poor designs and engines that were notorious for having problems but, not from oils.

Last edited:
My current plan for next falls OIC is Gold jug Castrol 0W-20 Extended Protection 2 quarts with two quarts of Castrol 0W-40 EDGE. This will be going into my Toyota Corolla. I got the Extended Protection for $17 a Jug and the EDGE for $13 dollars a Jug.

CPC SAE40 with Mobil Delvac MX 15W40, about 50:50. Been in for about 4 years. Might do it again.

Original reason was an oil leak. Reasons for doing it again are fairly speculative, but it would stretch my remaining Delvac MX, which proably can't be replaced, to two more oil changes.

Long time on a 5 year OCI.

One oil change may soon for be made up of my leftover qts:
  • 2 Qts of AutoZone 0w-20
  • 2 qts PUP 0w-20
  • 1 qt Mobil 1 EP 0w-20
  • 1 Qt Castrol Syn-Blend 5w-20

Not trying to make anything in particular.
Or these may end up as just some top off oil (you know you have too much oil when you use PUP or M1 to top off a din oil fill).

Only times I mixed for a specific reason was when I had some Mobil 1 15w-50 and Mobil 1 0w-30 that I wanted to thin it out, same for some Peak 5w-20 and 10w-40.

The other day I changed the oil in my neighbor's Hyundai Sonata, in went one quart "red bottle" Valvoline MaxLife 20W-50 and the rest SuperTech 5W-30 (she brought to me)

Currently have a Frankenbrew in my F150, too.

I'll intentionally mix oils if I need a final quart for an oil change. But I'll only mix oils with similar add packs. I won't mix high sodium oils like Valvoline/Napa with the high Calcium Sopus oils. And I don't like mixing the higher Magnesium oils like Mobil 1 20/30 grades with the other 2 styles. Prefer to keep Mag, Na, Ca oils separate. In an on the road emergency...yeah, add whatever ya brung.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'll intentionally mix oils if I need a final quart for an oil change. But I'll only mix oils with similar add packs. I won't mix high sodium oils like Valvoline/Napa with the high Calcium Sopus oils. And I don't like mixing the higher Magnesium oils like Mobil 1 20/30 grades with the other 2 styles. Prefer to keep Mag, Na, Ca oils separate. In an on the road emergency...yeah, add whatever ya brung.

Valvoline oils don't have sodium anymore; now they're using titanium

I keep an empty 5 quart jug that I pour leftover oil into. When it's full, I change the oil in the old Ranger with it. It is nearly full now and contains: T6, M1 ESP, M1 HM, and maybe a pint of 30 that comes with a new lawn mower.

Firstly, I´d smell the containers to see if they are addpack compatible.

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
How about a 0w40 or 5w40 on sale and throw in some SN rated Rotella, Delo, or Delvac to boost zinc and phosphate.

Hey SF, yep a Euro oil and HDEO would work well.

So would an ILSAC PCMO and a high zinc & high HTHS diesel HDEO, to put a bit of meat on those ILSAC bones.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Only times I mixed for a specific reason was when I had some Mobil 1 15w-50 and Mobil 1 0w-30 that I wanted to thin it out, same for some Peak 5w-20 and 10w-40.

Yep, thick and thin work together, to bring it into that Goldilocks zone.

I sometimes see dirt cheap mineral 20W50, then I look at the full synthetic GTL Shell Helix Ultra 0W20, and I think of mixing the two. I never do it, as I would spend more on the SHU than I would save with the cheap 20W50. It's never worth it prize wise, I'm better off waiting for Castrol Magnatec to go on sale - plus then I know the exact quality of the oil I'm getting with the Magnatec.

Still we are just playing around here, and if you already had the stuff ... fill 'ya boots.

Originally Posted By: bshort
I keep an empty 5 quart jug that I pour leftover oil into. When it's full, I change the oil in the old Ranger with it. It is nearly full now and contains: T6, M1 ESP, M1 HM, and maybe a pint of 30 that comes with a new lawn mower.

Ah, the old "Sasha Gray" blend.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: bshort

Ah, the old "Sasha Gray" blend.

Was this supposed to be in the Kumho Tires thread?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back