Running oil filters multiple OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I leave the filter on too. I chickened out on an extra guard after 15k though. Was shooting for 20k.

Did you cut and have a look?

Originally Posted By: paulri
... But what about the argument that the gasket is designed for a one-time sealing job? Is this true? Have folks who drain the oil and then re-use the filter, found that they get leaks?
In my experience, usually not, except sometimes minor (very slow) leaks from Purolator spin-ons used a second or third time and hand-tightened. I partially refilled them before reinstalling, as much as possible with horizontal-axis orientation.
No leaks so far reinstalling the Toyota cartridge cap three times with the same O-ring. I might replace it next time.

Originally Posted By: MrOctober44
Why remove it not gonna make a different! Most engine have a quart of oil left in the lifter valley that you can't change!!!!

So, where do you draw the line? In my opinion, and I know this against what you guys are saying, if you are doing an oil change, isn't the purpose of the oil change to get as much of the dirty/used oil out as you can?
21.gif

Sure, maybe the filter will be fine and it can handle another OCI or 2, but if you have a quart held up in the engine and another 1/4-1/2 liter left in your filter, that adds up to a lot of dirty oil left in the engine.

Personally, since I like knowing that I got as much used/dirty/spent oil out of my engines as possible, I have switched to TG's instead of Ultras.

Each to their own, but if I am crawling underneath my vehicles to access the drain plugs, it isn't really any extra work to remove and replace the filter while I am under there. My Ram isn't the easiest filter to access, but with a rag laid over the steering rack (for a just in case) and a cut down ice cream container to catch the oil, it takes me moments while my oil is still draining.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv

So, where do you draw the line? In my opinion, and I know this against what you guys are saying, if you are doing an oil change, isn't the purpose of the oil change to get as much of the dirty/used oil out as you can?
21.gif

In most engines, even if you let the oil drain until every last drop comes out of the drain plug, and remove the filter too, you'll still have at least 5-10% of the old oil left behind in the heads and oil passages. So leaving behind an extra 2-3% on top of that isn't going to mean all that much. And if that old filter is actually doing a better job of filtering on the second OCI than it did on the first, it could possibly be better in the long run.

Some car manufacturers call for a filter change every other oil change, so apparently they don't think it's a bad thing to do as long as the recommended OCI is followed.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: irv

21.gif

In most engines, even if you let the oil drain until every last drop comes out of the drain plug, and remove the filter too, you'll still have at least 5-10% of the old oil left behind in the heads and oil passages. So leaving behind an extra 2-3% on top of that isn't going to mean all that much. And if that old filter is actually doing a better job of filtering on the second OCI than it did on the first, it could possibly be better in the long run.

I know this has been beat to death, ad nauseam, but I have always wondered what people's limits were with how much used/spent oil they think is OK to leave in the engine?

Like I mentioned, getting as much of the used/spent oil out of an engine as I can just makes sense to me. Of course, there are limitations to that and if people were anal enough I am sure they would wait all night or 24 hrs for their vehicles to completely drain, or drain as much as possible, but while I'm doing one and set out about an hour of my time, maybe a bit more, I will do what I can during that time to ensure I've gotten out as much as possible.

Yesterday, I did an OC on my Yamaha Vector 4 stroke snowmobile. It is a dry sump setup with an oil tank on the side. If I just let it sit level while doing it, I only get so much used oil out of it but if I raise the front up with a floor jack, it's amazing how much more dirty/used oil comes out of the block and tank. I can only raise it so high, which is good enough for me, but it's reassuring knowing I got as much used/dirty oil out as possible.
Doing this allows me to add 3.1 litres of new oil but if I didn't do a filter change and raise it, it would only accept 2.6 litres. I know a half litre is not much but when the total capacity is 3.8 in a new engine, that 1/2 a litre is significant in my opinion, especially when one considers the RPM's these engines spin at.
(No floor jack yet in this pic, just the front dollies to raise it slightly to give me a bit more room under there)

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I leave the filter on too. I chickened out on an extra guard after 15k though. Was shooting for 20k.

Did you cut and have a look?

Not yet, but I will. Just to clarify, distance travelled is in kilometers.

I go two changes on both my cars. 15k on the Accent and 10k on the Gen Coupe. But I loosen the filter and let any oil above it flow out and this also relubes the gasket.

I don't leave it on, but if I did, I would leave the filter alone.
Both my filters make a bit of a mess when removing, so if I am going through the hassle of removing the filter, cleaning up the filter, draining minimal amount of oil from filter, I will just put on a new filter.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Nope. The whole reason I run extended drain filters is to make my oil changes quicker and less messy.

I might even be encouraged to do a quick dump N fill during the middle of winter or say, the middle of the summer towing season which would be a net benefit for the engine.

a good 20k filter combined with a mityvac is a time saver, especially with all the aero skid plates that need to be removed on modern brands.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
a good 20k filter combined with a mityvac is a time saver, especially with all the aero skid plates that need to be removed on modern brands.

Yes sir, this is a great combo.

UD

I’ve only done it with the cartridge style that sit in top of the engine with conventional oil running a 5k or less OCI. No more than two changes though.

I change the filter each oil change interval . Years of facts drummed into me from work.

I’m on here researching oil for an upcoming oil change on my Camry, I started wondering about this very thing and this thread pops up. Lol. Funny timing, 90% of my driving is highway driving, 2014 Camry 4 banger. Only used Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-20 since new with a synthetic fram filter. Sure would make my changes better to change the filter every other time. Problem is, I get all twitchy knowing it’s under there planning to explode on me! Lol. We drive about 25000 a year. Was gonna move to a high mileage oil this go round. I’d love to leave that filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back