Toyota special service campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone received one of these notices about a "Start Stop Technology" upgrade?

It will cut engine power if the brake and gas pedal are pressed at the same time under certain conditions.

Evidently, the manufacturer knows how dealers operate because "NO CHARGE" in bold caps is repeated several times in the letter.

Has anyone gone through this process?

It sounds like the fix they came up with after all the "run away" Toyotas hysteria.

Is this a used Toyota you recently purchased?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Who presses the gas and the brake at the same time? It’s a bad habit to begin with.

On an automatic yes, on a manual it is ideal while downshifting.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's an 03 4Runner that I purchased new. I received the letter yesterday, 3/30/2018.

Does the letter talk about modifying the gas pedal and installing new floor mats? If so, it's Toyota's fix to curb the "run away" vehicle non-sense that happened 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Who presses the gas and the brake at the same time? It’s a bad habit to begin with.

There are times you may need to do this. Sometimes cars have issues stalling and can't idle, so when you come to a stop, the car shuts off. Behaves like an auto stop/start hybrid, but it isn't. Stalls like a stick, but it's automatic. I've had to do this a few times.

And the 0-60 test procedure some magazines use involves brake torquing too. Also good for burnouts
19.gif

I suspect "cuts power" means bringing it to idle so the car still has PS/PB etc.

There's a certain logic that the average driver probably wants one pedal at a time.

Though the same logic dictates that we did great for ~100 years with a physical, electrical ignition switch that disconnects the spark plug coils from electricity. Then we had to add all these fancy start/stop buttons and joystick-operated transmissions.

Toyota did this after the "runaway throttle" instances. If the gas pedal gets trapped by a floor mat or something else, then smashing the brake pedal will kill the engine and stop the runaway situation. That's why it's applicable to only the automatic transmission, and not the standard transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back