Fram Tough Guard TG2 3k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram TG2 3k miles off a 118k mile 5.7l Hemi. Was not impressed w/ carboard endcaps as this is the first cheap filter I have ever cut open. Normally run Purolator Boss Filters with no problems and even pleats. I dont like the wavey pleats either. UOA posted in appropriate section. Oil was the new Valvoline Full Synthetic W/ML D1G2 Easy Pour bottle.

I don't consider those pleats 'wavy'....they look fine to me....and they should after only 3K.
Cardboard endcaps don't bother me either but tears and very wavy pleats do. I would do 5K minimum on full synthetic.

I used to dislike the fiber end caps as well. However I've come around on them. The glue bond between the filter material and the fiber end cap is actually really good, some say better than the bond to steel. In the case of massively distorted filter material in the case of moisture in the oil the fiber end cap gives some and the media doesn't tear. The TG Fram doesn't look like much on the inside but it really is a great filter. If you really want robust construction step up to the Fram XG.

I have read that the Toughgard uses a different filter media than an extra guard. Are the end caps a heavier material?

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I have read that the Toughgard uses a different filter media than an extra guard. Are the end caps a heavier material?

Tough Guard media is different than Extra Guard media.

I do not know if the end caps are the same or not. Maybe Car51 knows. He does many C&P posts.

Filter looks brand new to me. Pleats are straight. Endcaps look good. I use TG's all the time.

I would, and do, run a Fram TG over a Purolator "anything" any day of the week. I run the TG in my 04 Hemi with Valvoline ML HM with 5k OCI's; No issues at all.

TG is a mid tier filter, not a cheap one. If you think those pleats are wavy, you must have missed any of the C&Ps of tearolators during the height of their notoriety, or some of the crushed cartridge filters that people post. You must be trolling considering you ran a filter that is known to be good for 10k here for 3k, and then complained about it's condition.

I've been sensing a lot of fram hate on these boards lately. I think it has to do with how the fram ultra was this board's darling filter for the last two years, now the novelty has worn off and new filters such as the puro boss have arrived on the scene. I was shocked at some of the negative posts in the threads discussing the extra guard getting a silicone ADBV, unheard of for a value filter.

Last edited:
Unleash the trolls.
laugh.gif

I don't see any cardboard in the filter?

I guess you are referring the the fiber media (which is stronger than the filter media).

I also don't see any wavy pleats.

So on your Puro Boss filters, did you check the ADV for slits/tears that is a common issue with them?

Not seeing the wavy pleats you said either and I think the filter did its job.

You cut open filters to inspect them like you did with your Purolator Boss not to mention you did a UOA as well. That tells me you care enough of what filters and oil you put in your car. Are you not aware that the TGs are built with fiber end caps?

Personally, I am glad to see this C&P, as, like others have mentioned, it looks great. Mine, on both vehicles list in my sig, will be receiving the TG's the next oil change which will be coming up soon. Both vehicles likely won't be seeing many miles, (5,000 to 7,000 max) especially my wife's Impala, so I have no worries these filters won't do their job during that stretch.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I don't consider those pleats 'wavy'....they look fine to me....and they should after only 3K.
Cardboard endcaps don't bother me either but tears and very wavy pleats do. I would do 5K minimum on full synthetic.

I'm only doing 3k for now because its required under the Valvoline Engine Warranty. That why I'm trying cheaper filters to try and save some cost. The Purolator Boss filter i normally use kept 100% from and literally looked brand new after 5k miles with PUPPP. I just put on a Purolator Red Can (Classic) I bought 2 of them so we will see how they look. I have never had cracks or tears with Purolator in the past. I have also had good luck with Wix XP filters. My favorite ones are Amsoil and Royal Purple but the Purolator Boss filter are around 11.99 and in stock locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back