transmission cooler for coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if you could use a plate and fin cooler like a hayden 679 with coolant.

My curiosity is with regards to mazda transmissions. It seems there are no transmission fluid lines on the cx-5. Apparently mazda uses a heat exchanger and runs coolant from the radiator to the transmission and back.

like this;

5311055_1.png

So it looks like it would be easy to tap into and run lines for additional transmission cooling.

Could you use a cooler like a hayden 679 with coolant?

Not sure if i want to do this, but it certainly does not look difficult. If not a transmission cooler, perhaps a small motorcycle radiator? ( i have no idea of the inlet outlet sizes though).

I used one of their tube and fin models before for engine coolant before on a coolant/oil filter heat exchanger.

It would do little to no good as you are not increasing the surface area of the transmission cooler.....You're increasing the effective size of the radiator.

There are options for you......
One idea is to have the "Cooler Plates" milled off the base plate, Then have AN fittings TIG welded to the base plate, Then you can plumb trans cooler lines.

What if your car feeds the tranny "hot side of the thermostat" coolant, like what goes to the heater core? If you add cooling on this side you could get worse heat and longer trans-warmup behavior, like delayed TCC.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What if your car feeds the tranny "hot side of the thermostat" coolant, like what goes to the heater core? If you add cooling on this side you could get worse heat and longer trans-warmup behavior, like delayed TCC.

What car has the trans heat exchanger on the hot side? TCC delay is usually based on engine coolant temp.

"Heating" of the ATF via the cooler is a hard concept for me to grasp as I have data logged transmission cooler inlet & outlet temperatures on several different vehicles.....The cooler is always cooling the ATF

I guess my thought was to route the coolant as it leaves the heat exchanger, to a mini radiator, or trans cooler before it returns back to the transmission.

I need to get under the vehicle and see how accessible the lines are. On the mazda forums, no one sees any atf temp sensors . I probably need a shop manual of the cooling system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm curious if you could use a plate and fin cooler like a hayden 679 with coolant.

Ethylene glycol is used as a hydraulic fluid without (in almost all cases) any need for component changes. A heat exchanger designed for oil should have no problems with engine coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back