Is this M1 AFE 0w-20 dexos 1 gen 2 or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this m1 afe actually dexos 1 gen 2? I see PU that actually says 2 after ‘approved’. So I’m left wondering. Old stock?

Last edited:
That is dexos1Gen1. The Gen2 bottles will specifically say so. That said, of all the oils out there, probably required the fewest changes (is any)to make the jump from Gen1t to Gen2.

The biggest apparent formula change for oils making this change was to reduce calcium and increase magnesium: Mobil1 did that several yearas ago.

Originally Posted By: Danh
That is dexos1Gen1. The Gen2 bottles will specifically say so. That said, of all the oils out there, probably required the fewest changes (is any)to make the jump from Gen1t to Gen2.

The biggest apparent formula change for oils making this change was to reduce calcium and increase magnesium: Mobil1 did that several yearas ago.

Ok thanks. I thought it was not but wanted to defer to those knowing more.

That being said are there newer bottles stating gen 2 on them out on other shelves?

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe

Ok thanks. I thought it was not but wanted to defer to those knowing more.

That being said are there newer bottles stating gen 2 on them out on other shelves?

Yes, there are.

That said, of all the oils out there, probably required the fewest changes (is any) to make the jump from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

I have never read a forum post yet stating any REAL changes have been made.

If there were........ they sure didn't make any headlines.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
That said, of all the oils out there, probably required the fewest changes (is any) to make the jump from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

I have never read a forum post yet stating any REAL changes have been made.
If there were........ they sure didn't make any headlines.

We have seen VOAs for d1G2 Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, and Amsoil products that have all shown substantial changes from older formations...and they look like older M1 formulations in a lot of ways.
M1 formulations for grades lighter than 0W40 have been low calcium/very low sodium for some time, so it's quite possible that they did not need major adjustments to pass the d1G2 LSPI test...who knows about the other new parts of that standard, though.

Valvoline switched from their sodium add pack to a moly-titanium-boron package. I would say that was a big change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back