old wheel loader trans oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
have read this site for long time and got a lot of usefull info.now I have specific question.a 1988 tcm 850 wheel loader. transmission is 4 speed powershift with torque converter.have always put utf in it.just got owners book, it says 10w engine oil for trans/converter.what should I run.the whole book seems old spec.engine oil says 10w winter,30w summer.i run 15/40.am thinking of change to 5/40 t6 or 10/30 t5 to help cold starting.would this be too thin for old sloppy engine in summer.trying to keep alive cause cant get parts,{any info on that},cant afford to replace.thank you for any info.

I think AW-46 hyd fluid is the way to go....

But, unfortunately... lots of folks just use "303" oil in most of the older ones.
"R & O" oil is one step better than "303".

R&O oil we used to get us by till our 55 gallon drums came in of Mobil oil for our large printing presses. The Chevron R&O had nothing for an add pack and was told by a large distributor that R&O oil doesn't have any AW/EP additive as a whole. We added some rotary screw air compressor oil that had a robust add pack to get some Phosphorus into the oil. When I see R&O oil I now see "no add pack" in my head and I want something on anything that moves. That is why I use Mobil oil for the presses, because they have something extra vs other brands in R&O esq oil class, where other don't. The hydraulic oil has AW in it where R&O would not.

Last edited:
I like the add pack in utf,thinking it might be better than hyd oil.or is it additive I don't need or want. 10w engine oil seems thin. I run chevron 1000 thf in other equip I own in transmissions.do you think that is any good for this.

I used to maintain some old Fiat equipment that called for 10w engine oil in the transmission, and all the lube companies I spoke to suggested UTF. I think UTF has a better add pack for the wet clutches.

Is the loader parked near power? If it is, an oil pan heater would allow you to use 15w-40 year-round and enjoy better cold starting.

no power on jobsite.is 5-40 to thin.10-30 hdeo is good idea.should have stronger add pack.i think utf{universal tractor fluid} is 10-30.

ok.i will use 5w-40 in engine.then decide to use a good utf or 10w-30 hdeo in transmission.i don't know whats in these transmissions.never had one apart.are there clutches so the utf is better.or is hdeo stronger add pack and take heat better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back