Running oil filters multiple OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question isn't for those who change their oil filter at each OCI but for those of you who run your oil filters for multiple OCIs.

Do you ever remove the filter drain it & reinstall it?
I don't, I just leave'em on. But, I'm just asking even as silly of a question as it may seem.

I realize that if we're going to remove the filter, we might just as well install a new one.
However, there are those of us who remove spark plugs, look at them and if they look fine, reinstall them.

Same with brake pads. I've taken them off, inspected them, lubed everything, blead the system and reinstalled the same pads, as weird as it seems I 've done it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
If I'm leaving a filter for multiple OCI I just leave it in place. If I spin it off I'm likely to just replace it.

This.

If Im bothering to take it off at a ll might as well replace it.

2 oci's on a clean running modern injected car are no biggie and actually recommended by Honda.

You dont throw way half used rolls of paper towels, why throw out a 15-20K capable filter at 7,500?

UD

IMO draining the old oil out of that filter removes the strongest argument for getting rid of that filter at the end of an OCI. But what about the argument that the gasket is designed for a one-time sealing job? Is this true? Have folks who drain the oil and then re-use the filter, found that they get leaks?

Multiple OC’s will become common once the greenies clue in you can cut waste filters by half by doing this. Dare I say some day filters will become a 50,000 mile maintenance item? Also, on my vehicles a quick dump and fill is much easier than crawling around messing with filters. Like many things, it depends on whether or not it’s still fun.

banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Longest was 5 years on my dad's car with a Mobil 1 filter. He drove 2000 miles a year.

Did you cut that filter open for a look inside?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Zero need to remove and reinstall.

Longest was 5 years on my dad's car with a Mobil 1 filter. He drove 2000 miles a year.

Did you cut that filter open for a look inside?

I did out of curiosity and it was clean as a whistle.

The doom and gloom of using oil filters for multiple OCI is wrong.

Nope. The whole reason I run extended drain filters is to make my oil changes quicker and less messy.

I just started doing two intervals with the same filter on my Civic, and when I changed the oil I left the filter alone. I hate changing oil filters, it always makes a mess so I really enjoyed doing that last oil change. I'm planning on doing shorter OCIs with my Civic anyhow, so the filter will never be on the car longer than about 12k total.

I leave mine on for two oil changes. On vehicles I'm running bypass, I leave them on longer

Last edited:
I used to "leap-frog" my filters.....
I would have one off and draining for months...
while another was in use, then swap them.

NO.... I NEVER had a gasket failure!!!

Now I just leave them in place. Gotta keep that "Tribochemical Barrier" in place!!
grin2.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
I'm going to use my Ultra for a second oil change at least.

Same here.... when my Focus hits about 7000 miles (about 1 year), I'll change my oil (synthetic), but leave the FRAM ULTRA on for another 7K +/- run.

I'm sure the Ultra could go even further, but just to be safe..... 14K to 15K, and two years of use, should suffice easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back