Tire rotation front to back ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two FWD vehicles I’m maintaining. A Honda Odyssey and a Nissan Altima. I know the proper tire rotation pattern fronts to rear and rear across over to front but it’s so easy to just jack up left side right side and simply drop the front to back and back to front. Is this “good enough”. Does anyone else use this more simple method and has everything worked out fine? And I realize directional tires are done this way. So anyone with directional tires have any advice on how their tires hold up just going front to back.

Last edited:
I cross rotate to even out cupping on my tires. The only time I do straight front to back is on directional tires. Yes it's more time consuming but it gives me more even tire weat and longer life in addition to keeping tires quiet.

I think so. That's what you'd have to do if you had directional tires. Better than not rotating at all.

I figured that bu I was hopeful someone would tell me they do front and back only and haven’t noticed anything strange. Oh well I guess you just have to cross them.

I would think it would be helpful, even if not ideal.

If you run directional tires, front to rear swap is all you can do without remounting the tire on the rim.

I do front to back tire rotations on my FWD and RWD cars and haven't seen anything odd happen. Tires are not directional and they do wear out evenly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: berniedd
I do front to back tire rotations and haven't seen anything odd happen. Tires are not directional and wear out evenly.

That’s what I’m talking about. Anyone else?

Front to back is all I've ever done - for multiple cars over the last 35 years.

I have been doing front to back only for several sets of tires each on the following vehicles:

2001 Dodge Ram 2 wheel drive
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 WD
2006 Corolla

I've never seen or felt a problem.

Front to back is all I do, and I get close to the full rating (kms or miles) from my tires. I get an alignment done right away if I notice anything like a slight pull or off center steering wheel, usually due to a pot hole or similar.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
I do front to back tire rotations and haven't seen anything odd happen. Tires are not directional and wear out evenly.

If all you were looking for was someone to agree with you so you could take the easy way out why would you ask? If you want to do just front to back do it. Does it work, sure, is it better than not rotating, absolutely. Is it as good as cross rotating at preventing or removing heel to toe feathering or tread edge cupping, absolutely not.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Front to back is all I've ever done - for multiple cars over the last 35 years.

Same here, for over 40 years now. I recently pitched a set of OE tires that went over 60K miles doing that, not because they were worn out, because they were 10 years old and I wanted a new set for the winter.

You seem a bit defensive about your using the proper method vs me wanting a more easy way. I was looking to see if other people had used the “easy way” and could attest to it doing “just fine” when you search online all formal responses are specifically listing the “proper” method. I respect you for doing it the exact way specified and you are the better for it I’m sure. Who knows by asking I might have heard responses like “I tired that and it didn’t work out well”. But so far I’m getting the feeling that after a few years of front to back things might just be “fine”.
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Jake777

If all you were looking for was someone to agree with you so you could take the easy way out why would you ask? If you want to do just front to back do it. Does it work, sure, is it better than not rotating, absolutely. Is it as good as cross rotating at preventing or removing heel to toe feathering or tread edge cupping, absolutely not.

On a front wheel drive only with directional tires, The rear tires don't care what direction they turn - they are just along for the ride, more or less. So - cross the fronts when rotating to the rear.

I usually just do front to back, and if I am feeling up to it I'll occasionally rotate in an X pattern.

I do the forward cross on my FWD as recommended. Front to back is not as good because of possible slight loss in road grip due to front to back camber changes. Ed

The manual for the 2001 Honda Odyssey shows (for non-directional tires) BOTH front to back and X-ing. I have two floor jacks so rotate whichever way catches my fancy that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back