Uniroyal noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up an 08 Lucerne with some Tiger Paw 225/60r16 on them and they are loud and feel like bricks. Part of my problem might be the CS5 Grand Touring I have on my 99 Lesabre that I fell in love with, quiet and smooth. My other problem maybe two different cars with different characteristics but I can't imagine the Lucerne is causing this.

Thing is these tires are new, they are right at 10/32's but my plan is to drive them this summer/fall and put some CS5 Ultra Touring before winter and try and sell these while they have decent tread on them. Also looking at the Quatrac 5's with the reviews they get but I will only buy local so need to see what my tire guy can get.

Any one else have a similar situation or am I being to picky, guess I'm just looking for some justification for replacing brand new tires.

I have the Uniroyal Tiger Paws 70k mile tire on my 97 Gran Marquis.
I love them . Uniroyal is actually owned by Michelin.

Looks like they are the Touring DT's 98T M+S and 5 years old if this is the date code DOT 49X3 FPUU 0313. Looks like someone sold the previous owner some old tires.

After driving it some more today they don't seem as bad. Could it be they just need to be driven on while to break them in after sitting around?

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
-

After driving it some more today they don't seem as bad. Could it be they just need to be driven on while to break them in after sitting around?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what's the air pressure

These two.

Looks like they are the Touring DT's 98T M+S and 5 years old if this is the date code DOT 49X3 FPUU 0313. Looks like someone sold the previous owner some old tires.

Some tires tend to flat spot when sitting for too long. They become temporarily out of round, and give an odd ride until they even out.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
whats the air pressure

The DIC says 31 all the way around and my Longacre says 30. The dealer said they put new sensors on so I wanted to see how accurate they were.

That would be great if they just need some breaking in but at five years old I'm sure I'll be replacing them before the tread wears out.

Not sure what's going on with these tires and I wouldn't of believed it if it didn't happen to me but these tires are now quiet and the ride is smooth. I travel the same roads to work and have one stretch of road that is concrete and you can feel and hear every expansion joint, it's a good test for tire noise. There still not as quiet as the CS 5's on my other Buick but they are close. I'll see how the do this winter for traction and go from there.

Not sure what's going on with these tires and I wouldn't of believed it if it didn't happen to me but these tires are now quiet and the ride is smooth. I travel the same roads to work and have one stretch of road that is concrete and you can feel and hear every expansion joint, it's a good test for tire noise. There still not as quiet as the CS 5's on my other Buick but they are close. I'll see how the do this winter for traction and go from there.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Some tires tend to flat spot when sitting for too long. They become temporarily out of round, and give an odd ride until they even out.

Yup, second vote for flatsplotting.

I had a set of TigerPaws on my Lexus ES350. I literally just got rid of them. The size was 215/55/17. They were the worst set of tires I've ever owned. Like you, they rode like bricks, no matter how were they were inflated, furthermore they were almost impossible to balance. I rotated them every 5k and yet they were as loud as a set of Super Swampers on a jacked up 4x4. Although they only had 25,000 miles on them and plenty of tread left I replaced them with Pirelli P7's. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. Holy smoke, the Pirelli's are a revelation of smoothness, quietness, and handling. I will never skimp on tires again. Lesson learned.

I'm finding that the cold has a bad effect on these tires. Last Saturday morning we had a cold snap, I think it was in the lower teens and I noticed the harshness was back, not as bad as they were but still noticeable. This worries me, if these tires get hard when it's cold that can't be good for traction on snow packed roads. Sunday was in the upper 40's and they were back to riding nice.

Since this car is new to me (08 Lucerne) is it possible it has something to do with the suspension? It doesn't seem to ride stiffer.

I'm finding that the cold has a bad effect on these tires. Last Saturday morning we had a cold snap, I think it was in the lower teens and I noticed the harshness was back, not as bad as they were but still noticeable. This worries me, if these tires get hard when it's cold that can't be good for traction on snow packed roads. Sunday was in the upper 40's and they were back to riding nice.

Since this car is new to me (08 Lucerne) is it possible it has something to do with the suspension? It doesn't seem to ride stiffer.

This still sounds like tire flat spotting. The cold sets a flat spot in the tire that takes some time to work out.

Wanted to update this again since we had a first really cold morning. These tires do not respond well to cold weather. During the warmer weather they are actually pretty decent as far as comfort and noise but once the temp drops there back to feeling like bricks. I"m not a spirited driver so I can't tell any difference in handling but you can feel every little bump and crack.

I may start looking for a good sale. I had the CS5 grands on my LeSaber but I see they make the Ultra for the Lucerne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back