Sonata 2.4 / nice day for an Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Yes, that's 5W-40 and no, it doesn't concern me that this viscosity isn't in my "U.S." OM.

I'm assuming you're not concerned with the pending doom and compatibility issues with using a Mobil filter with Castrol oil? Surely this is a dangerous proposition. Also cue the Fram guys for asking why no Ultra.

All kidding aside, it looks like a beautiful day for the change there. Nice work!

Goodness time must be flying I seem to remember you doing an OIC just a couple months ago
lol.gif

I would never get under that vehicle, as you have pictured. I am paranoid of a ramp collapse and will always include bottle jacks on both sides of my vehicle, when using a ramp jack as pictured here.

Yep nice day here too. This Wednesday will be one year for the 3.0L Accord and 15% MM light just came on ~6500 miles. Some 5w20 PU I've had in the stash awhile and Napa Gold will be going in and on.

Good that the HOA letting you do O&F changes now.

As for oil and filter, being an active member here you're making an informed decision. In addition, your ride, your call. Use what makes you happy. That's what I do.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Goodness time must be flying I seem to remember you doing an OIC just a couple months ago
lol.gif

Yes, life changes. Running my son to my mom's every morning because she cares for him during our workweek piles on the miles. I was also set on using M1 oil too. So much so that i posted as much in the PYOC thread. But decided on the Edge 5w40 instead.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I'm assuming you're not concerned with the pending doom and compatibility issues with using a Mobil filter with Castrol oil? Surely this is a dangerous proposition. Also cue the Fram guys for asking why no Ultra.

All kidding aside, it looks like a beautiful day for the change there. Nice work!

I hope no one tells Mobil... or Castrol, for that matter.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Yep nice day here too. This Wednesday will be one year for the 3.0L Accord and 15% MM light just came on ~6500 miles. Some 5w20 PU I've had in the stash awhile and Napa Gold will be going in and on.

Good that the HOA letting you do O&F changes now.

As for oil and filter, being an active member here you're making an informed decision. In addition, your ride, your call. Use what makes you happy. That's what I do.

We have new "leadership" they are a little more 'laxed so long as you're thoroughly clean.

thumbsup2.gif
I'm thinking of doing a blend with Castrol Edge HM 10w40 & Castrol SynBlend 5w30 next go around on my Sonata, I've got some stash clearance oil.

Yeah those HOA people are busy body crackheads with too much spare time on their hands
lol.gif

Always good to run what you want to run. Nothing wrong with that my friend. I just changed my oil out to the last bit of Havoline Pro DS I had left. I will get the Havoline DS black bottle for the run after this one and leave the $5.40 Federated Auto oil filter on their again. That filter is quite a deal for the price. Rated for 10k miles and synthetic media. Same filter that AZ used to have made by premium guard aka Daewha.

Yes, nice time for doing some OCIs & other maintenance.
I see that you have the HR-V in your signature listed w/ a 1.5L and not the 1.8L. Is that correct?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, nice time for doing some OCIs & other maintenance.
I see that you have the HR-V in your signature listed w/ a 1.5L and not the 1.8L. Is that correct?

Thanks for catching that. Fixed.

Why the 40 weight - it's not approved for your engine ? 2017 Hyundai 2.4L non - turbo is approved for 5W20 , 5W30 and 10W30 - by using a 40 weight you may inhibit heat from being extracted efficiently from the engine / engine oil ... *I'd give one of the new DEXOS1 Gen 2 synthetic oils a try next in 5W30 ... Just say'n.

I'm a FIRM believer that what's recommended in our US manuals works just fine, but if there were a heat extraction issue with higher viscosity, I'd doubt all of these viscosity would show up on any recommendation lists in other parts of the world.

I’ve seen that as well. One thing I can confirm at least is that Valvoline seems to know the sump capacity for our Mazda better than they do. Mazda said 4.8 quarts. I used 5 quarts and still had to add another half a quart to bring it to the full mark.

0w20 is on the list as well.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I’ve seen that as well. One thing I can confirm at least is that Valvoline seems to know the sump capacity for our Mazda better than they do. Mazda said 4.8 quarts. I used 5 quarts and still had to add another half a quart to bring it to the full mark.

0w20 is on the list as well.

Same here, concerning our sump. They're (Valvoline) spot on. I'm sure 20, 30 or 40 protect with infinitesimally small difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back