What woukd you do with this transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins with 75,000 miles. Had my tire shop/autocare center drop pan, replace filter and top off trans fluid at about 55,000 miles. The fluid now looks dirty. It's reddish brown in color. Should I change filter and top off again or do a flush at home by pulling the return line and replacing the fluid as it gets pumped out? I've heard horror stories about flush machines, but if I do it at home using the return line, I see no difference because it's the transmissions pump doing the work.

Thanks for putting up with my posts.

Last edited:
Return line fluid exchange. Use the correct fluid. Check level per the owner's manual. Should be golden then.

if you have a dipstick, use one of those fluid extractor things. you can change like a gallon at a time that way, and just measure what comes out so you know how much to put back in.

Either way should be successful; the machine flush at higher mileage can be....bad.

I've always had good results with a pan drop/filter/refill every 30-50k depending in vehicle.

Originally Posted By: monster1
Should I change filter and top off again

Leave the filter in, I seriously doubt it is a restriction.

Originally Posted By: monster1
or do a flush at home by pulling the return line and replacing the fluid as it gets pumped out?

That is what I typically do, but I just let it run until I get bubbles, shout it off, hook it all back up again, then refill to the proper level. Repeat every 25,000 miles.

Get a new pan, put B&M drain plug in the pan, mopar filter, redline C+ or Amsoil ATF. do the pan drop filter, clean magnet and refill and then the cooler line flush, then in the future just drain and refill.

If you can drop the pan and replace the filter, I see no reason to do anything else. Only consideration would be to try to find a pan with a drain plug.

No reason to flush if you can pan drop, imo.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Return line fluid exchange. Use the correct fluid. Check level per the owner's manual. Should be golden then.

+ 1000000

What horror stories have you heard about a flush machine? It does the same thing you are considering doing with the return line except no one has to watch over it.

Now some times they add a chemical prior to flush. And of course they would need to add the proper ATF to the new fluid container in the flush machine. And some places will tell you the flush with their machine eliminates the need to change the filter. It does not.

But the basic process of a flush machine is sound.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What horror stories have you heard about a flush machine? It does the same thing you are considering doing with the return line except no one has to watch over it.

Now some times they add a chemical prior to flush. And of course they would need to add the proper ATF to the new fluid container in the flush machine. And some places will tell you the flush with their machine eliminates the need to change the filter. It does not.

But the basic process of a flush machine is sound.

From what I've read, depending on how the transmission was maintained, the flush causing crud to break off and start making problems for an otherwise ok transmission. Kinda like flushing an engine with high miles. And also the issue of flushing but not dropping the pan to change the filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back