1996 JDM Subaru GC8 EJ20G - Thoughts on Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I was just wondering whats every one running in their older GC8 EJ20G's for oil and filter choice? I currently run Rotella T6 and a Mobil 1 filter but i'm looking to get away from them and try something new. I was thinking Motul XCESS 8100 5w40 and the OEM Subaru Blue filter.... Thoughts?

Hey guys I was just wondering whats every one running in their older GC8 EJ20G's for oil and filter choice? I currently run Rotella T6 and a Mobil 1 filter but i'm looking to get away from them and try something new. I was thinking Motul XCESS 8100 5w40 and the OEM Subaru Blue filter.... Thoughts?

The oil you are using now is great for these engines, what do you hope to gain using an over priced boutique oil? The difference in the filter is nothing to be concerned over, use the one that is cheaper.

That is a very stout engine. I would run rotella or mobil 5w40 and a Fram Ultra Filter and call it a day.

Its over 20 years old so i would save money for a reseal other than expensive oils and filters.

The Rotella is more than adequate. I wouldn't pay more for Motul. With boosted Subaru's, it's the weight that matters first and foremost. You should be running a filter with the bypass setting Subaru specifies. Some after market oil filters do NOT have the correct bypass setting.

i just heard that Rotella isnt the same anymore and im etter off to switch.. is that true? or people just blowing smoke up my but

Originally Posted By: Yonnie
i just heard that Rotella isnt the same anymore and im etter off to switch.. is that true? or people just blowing smoke up my but

The formula was recently changed but there’s very little difference between the old and new metallic additive packs. You can compare the old and new looking for voa’s in the voa forum.

RT6/Castrol/Mobil 1/Pennzoil xW-40 are all good choices. Subaru Japan allows up to xW-50 in that engine but that’s probably overkill unless you’re tracking it.

https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/

Last edited:

How old are you?

The lowered zinc content seems to be the biggest change but in your engine its not an issue, in an old cam in block flat tappet with very strong springs it may be something to think about.
The Rotella T is a good oil and a bargain at the price. IMO if they jacked the price to double and made it scarce some people would be falling all over themselves looking for it.

30. What's it matter. If ur here to be an [censored] then bugger off.

Lol nice.

Yet another troll for the board.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
30. What's it matter. If ur here to be an [censored] then bugger off.

Lol nice.

Yet another troll for the board.

Seems as though your the troll. i came here for information and got it. thanks everyone that actually helped

Id get away from rotella and use a true synthetic like redline or motul. Amsoil and pennzoil also offer top-teir oils. I used to run rotella but wasnt satisfied with it in my ej's (20K, 206)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back