Car show photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pony Corral Restaurant hosts a car show Sunday evenings May into September. Here are a few of the sightings from 2010:

The Austin (later British Leyland) Mini was imported into Canada through the '79 model year.

'68 Chevy wagon - one of my favourites.

A minty Studebaker, in a colour of the times.

Here's an early-60s Dodge or Plymouth (I didn't take a photo of the entire car) equipped with a push-button TorqueFlite ...

... and a leaning tower of power! (A.k.a. the legendary Slant Six.)

AMC product engineers, c. 1969: "Aieee! GM's coming out with the Vega next year, and Ford the Pinto. What can we do? Hey, how about if we cut the trunk off a Hornet, and call it a Gremlin?" This was one of the few cars available with 4-, 6-, or 8-cylinder engine. The Chevy II and Mustang II also come to mind.

And finally, the infamous Pinto. Is Calvin urinating on a Honda logo? There can't be a lot of Pintos out there with this feature.

You're posting photos from 2010?! What about some photos from last year since the shows haven't started yet? Cars are cars but what are people showing now?

You have an interesting taste in cars, oddly I like them too, well except the Pinto.

Sweet Gremlin
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You're posting photos from 2010?! What about some photos from last year since the shows haven't started yet? Cars are cars but what are people showing now?

You have an interesting taste in cars, oddly I like them too, well except the Pinto.

I should have posted these long ago - just learned to upload photos a few weeks ago. I don't take photos every visit - in fact, I could only find 2010 and 2017. A lot of the cars are regulars.

Hey, I didn't say I liked the Pinto, but it does remind me of my younger days.
smile.gif
These, and their sister car the Mercury Bobcat, were quite common here at one time.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Sweet Gremlin
lol.gif

I actually quite liked these in the day! And the Pacer
blush.gif
... you had to give AMC credit for being willing to try something edgy.

I got over it.

That pinto hatchback shows how we used to not be ashamed of lots of clear glass! However terrible that car was I bet it was easy to see out of, parallel park, etc. And that aftermarket rubber strip is additional rear-end crash protection!
lol.gif

Thanks for the great pictures. I had two Pinto's, a hatchback and a station wagon. Had good luck with both of them.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That pinto hatchback shows how we used to not be ashamed of lots of clear glass! However terrible that car was I bet it was easy to see out of, parallel park, etc. And that aftermarket rubber strip is additional rear-end crash protection!
lol.gif

I miss the cars with large greenhouses. I guess the huge A-pillars are there to provide rollover protection and accommodate airbags, the high waistline improves side-impact protection, etc. However, I think that a large window area gives better visibility and thus improves hard-to-measure active safety. As well, I don't like the look of the gun-slit window vehicles. (New Camaro and Chrysler 300, I mean you!)

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Now we pay 30k for a 4 banger that won't pull your bass boat,,,imho

I wonder what the tow-rating of a Pinto or Vega was back in the day? They were RWD, so probably not too bad. I've read that the Pinto sold for about $2K in the US when introduced. But then again, as late as '79 I was making only $2.95/hr working PT in a warehouse while going to school.

Originally Posted By: Irishman
Thanks for the great pictures. I had two Pinto's, a hatchback and a station wagon. Had good luck with both of them.

My roomie had an orange Mercury Bobcat (slightly blinged Pinto), bought new at the end of '76. I remember the 2.3 litre 4-speed MT being geared incredibly high by modern standards, probably to keep the revs down on the highway. It was reliable and served him well for quite a few years. Given its shape and colour, it was nicknamed "the jellybean".

The wagons were kind of neat - in metallic green with fake wooden siding, they looked like shrunk Country Squire wagons.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Now we pay 30k for a 4 banger that won't pull your bass boat,,,imho

I wonder what the tow-rating of a Pinto or Vega was back in the day? They were RWD, so probably not too bad. I've read that the Pinto sold for about $2K in the US when introduced. But then again, as late as '79 I was making only $2.95/hr working PT in a warehouse while going to school.

Those cars were real slow...who woulda thought that today 4's would be able to have over 200hp naturally aspirated? Quite a difference from the 71hp 4's in the early 80's. I do think car prices have become astronomically high.

I was supposed to inherit a Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk like the one you show, but not being family of the old fella who liked me it didn't happen. The family member who raised a stink and got it sold it within 2 weeks. Man I liked that car. Thanks for the memories.

A few of my friends showcars and a couple of mine thrown in for good measure.
grin.gif

The Willy's is a wicked show car and he has won many awards Stateside with it as well.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I was supposed to inherit a Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk like the one you show, but not being family of the old fella who liked me it didn't happen. The family member who raised a stink and got it sold it within 2 weeks. Man I liked that car. Thanks for the memories.

That's the one that got away.

Nice cars! Those are, what, a '71 Chevelle, a '67 Camaro, and a '70 Monte Carlo? (I'm guestimating the model years.)

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Nice cars! Those are, what, a '71 Chevelle, a '67 Camaro, and a '70 Monte Carlo? (I'm guestimating the model years.)

74 Monte Carlo, the 70's had a much different look and were only produced for 2 years. 70 to 72. The Chevelle is an SS clone but I believe it is a 72?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I would do dirty things for that wagon.
smile.gif

Well, not to further provoke you, but it's a Caprice (top trim level here), with the optional 427 and T/H transmission, and the very rare factory gauge package.
smile.gif

I plan to post 2017 photos from the same event, and I think the same wagon is shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back