Filling pickup with DEF at the pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go by a truck stop that has DEF pumps so that is where I get it for my pickup. If I do not push the nozzle hard into the fill it comes out when filling. If I push it hard when it's full it sprays out onto my jacket and face.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I go by a truck stop that has DEF pumps so that is where I get it for my pickup. If I do not push the nozzle hard into the fill it comes out when filling. If I push it hard when it's full it sprays out onto my jacket and face.

If there is a significant savings filling up DEF here as opposed to buying jugs, what about filling a few 5 gallon kerosene-blue gas cans?? I'd imagine those would be much easier to fill in the bed of your truck without spraying it all over yourself.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

If there is a significant savings filling up DEF here as opposed to buying jugs, what about filling a few 5 gallon kerosene-blue gas cans?? I'd imagine those would be much easier to fill in the bed of your truck without spraying it all over yourself.

Agreed. Get one of those blue 6 gallon water jugs and fill with DEF.

I buy it at the truck stop so I do not have to deal with containers of DEF. Not for any savings. Looks like no one here has filled DEF from a pump. I will ask one of the truckers next time. Maybe run the nozzle at a slower rate?? The displaced air need to come out as I am filling.

Bring safety glasses.

The displaced air need to come out as I am filling.

This is pretty obvious, then!

Your choices:
1) Your truck was NEVER INTENDED to use DEF from a pump, jug only.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
2) Create an alternative venting system for the DEF tank
3) use jugs.Your truck was NOT designed to accept the high flow provided from a DEF pump.

ASK the truckers?!?!? How will their answers be any different than what we just provided?

1) Fix the tank and vent.... OR;
2) fix the method of delivering the fluid

Those are your only choices.

I will ask one of the truckers next time. Maybe run the nozzle at a slower rate?? The displaced air need to come out as I am filling.

Bring safety glasses.

So you haven't tried filling at less than full volume? Yeah, that might be a place to start. Be sure to let us know what a trucker says about filling a pick up.

Pickups have small openings, and are better suited for jugs.
Best fill tube I've found for any pickup is the factory Ford.
DEF Nozzle
I guess I should ask why the OP needs to top off DEF at a pump. I think trucks use DEF linearly, and the tank is sized to follow expected OCI.
That is to say, I add DEF at oil change time, and it lasts about 5000 miles.
YMMV,

What's wrong with buying a jug of DEF? I'm not sure what you mean by "Not having to deal with" bottles?

My local WM sells blinker-fluid er,,, DEF for $12/2.5 gal. Put another way, $24 for 5 gallons.

How much to fill a 5 gal jug at your local truck stop? Locally, it's $2.86/gal or $14.30 for 5 gallons.

Filling your 5 gallon jug pays for itself the very first time.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are the DEF jugs refillable?

The Ford ones are. They are just regular fluid jugs with a spin on cap that you add the filler nozzle to. The nozzle is supposed to "click" into the filler neck.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
What is DEF ?

Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Used for Selective catalyst Reduction systems on newer diesel engines. It sprays a urea based fluid into the exhaust to control NOx.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction

Yeah, it's mostly Urea and water. Urea is also a component in Urine hence this rant.

I have quite a few friends that are still in the consumer vehicle repair business. Most of the problems they see with contaminated DEF, is from customers that filled up with DEF at the pump. As a result of their observations, I buy my DEF off the shelf. No problems so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back