Factory Fluid VS Aftermarket Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,
Need some help here. As my van is approaching 100K, I am getting ready to do fluids flush- Power steering, coolant...etc. My question is, how does factory fluid stand against major brand aftermarket fluid? In terms of quality, durability and value.

For example Honda power steering fluid is about $10/12oz vs. Prestone Honda power steering fluid for $2.46/12oz.

Last edited:
The Prestone Honda power steering fluid has been discontinued, so you can only get it while supplies last.

Aftermarket power steering fluid is perfectly OK to use as long as it says Honda on it. All the major parts stores carry a house brand Honda PSF.

In fact, Advance Auto and Carquest have their house brand Honda PS on sale right now for $2.99 a bottle.

Napa has Idemitsu power steering fluid for $3.69. Sometimes their house brand Honda PSF is on sale for $3 as well, but it's not on sale right now.

Honda recently said you can use aftermarket PSFs in an emergency - but from my days at the dealership we used MOC's "universal" fluid with no problems. Some have reported a difference with the real deal over an aftermarket fluid, previously Honda systems leaked when non-OEM fluid was used.

In my experience, when using an aftermarket Honda P/S fluid, the only difference I can tell is in the extreme cold that we experience here in the North East during the winter. The steering becomes somewhat stiff until it warms up. In more livable temps it's just fine.

I did make a mistake one time, by using a non-Honda(regular) P/S fluid in a Honda Accord, and I lost P/S return. The steering was easy enough but, it often felt kind'a catchy & I had to return the steering to center myself. The return came back after a flush with Bardahl Honda-Acura P/S fluid from Walmart. I kept with the Bardahl until I couldn't get it anymore.

I'm disappointed to see that Prestone for Honda/Acura PSF has been discontinued. My experience with several Hondas including a 285k+ mile 01 Civic with original pump is the two 'for Honda Acura' labeled PSFs I've used work just fine. That includes Bardahl for Honda/Acura PSF and the aforementioned Prestone labeled for Honda/Acura applications.

The only contrary to that anecdotal experience that I've read is perhaps in very cold temperatures, some of the non oem H/A PSF may not have worked as well. Not an experience I've had with Prestone or Bardahl before it.

I do know that at ~$2.50 a 12oz bottle at WM, Prestone for Honda Acura PSF appeared to be a excellent seller. Disappointing imo that a value priced reliable alternative to oem has been taken away.

Prestone Honda fluid labeling was somewhat confusing, given that that they also offered Prestone Asian. I wasnt sure which would be better for the Honda. The Asian costs more, so I ended up going with he Honda. It performed just like the OEM, and did not elimitate the 'sticking' in the steering. I eventually switched to Lucas universal (which costs a little more) and the steering became perfectly smooth. I now use Lucas in all PS systems.

For other fluids, my opinion ia that universal antifreeze (e.g. Peak LongLife) will be fine for a full flush. I generally avoid mixing two types (e.g. universal + Dexcool) but I don't know if this really matters or is superstition. Any dot 3 brake fluid should be fine (I used Honda brand because I was at the dealership when I remembered to buy it). I also use Pennzoil Platinum LV ATF in my Honda; inexpensive (Pep boys) and works great.

Quote:
Prestone Honda fluid labeling was somewhat confusing, given that that they also offered Prestone Asian. I wasnt sure which would be better for the Honda.....

Prestone "Asian" PSF is advertised as a "full synthetic" PSF vs the H/A PSF. I assume that accounts for it's price premium over the latter. It was discussed awhile back here and noted in it's description that it has seal conditioners which could be an issue for Hondas. Idk, never used it as the H/A worked fine and no need to pay the price premium.

Looks like the AAP sold CQ Honda PSF on sale for ~$3, currently best priced alternative. I personally wouldn't pay the regular ~$5 price for it as the Honda PSF can be had in a 3pack for

My opinions, FWIW:

Coolant: Since it doesn't need to be done that often, might as well spring for Honda Blue. If you're doing a flush, Rechochem concentrate is an Asian-spec coolant that works great.

Brake: Any good quality bottle off-the-shelf.

PSF: I use OEM since it's cold here in the winter and I don't want any possible steering issues on those frigid mornings.

ATF: Can't go wrong with OEM. I'm currently running MaxLife and while it performs fine in my older Accord, I don't like it in my Pilot. Going to switch back to DW-1 next time.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Coolant: Since it doesn't need to be done that often, might as well spring for Honda Blue. If you're doing a flush, Rechochem concentrate is an Asian-spec coolant that works great.

Walmart has a blue Zerex Asian for Hondas. It's about $12 for the 50/50 premix. About half the price of the dealer.

Recochem has several Asian coolants, including a blue one for Hondas. About $20 at Pep Boys regular price, but does go on sale occasionally for much less. It's made in Canada. (They also have both red and pink Toyota, as well as a green Mazda type)

Napa and Autozone carry Pentofrost A3, which is the actual OE coolant. About $15 for the 50/50 premix in either store. It also says "Made in Japan" on the label

Quote:
If the aftermarket product meets manufacturer specs, no appreciable difference.

I have no idea if Prestone H/A or Bardahl H/A PSF before it "meet specs". I don't think either made that specific claim. I just know anecdotally that I have enough miles using it on the Hondas I've maintained and still maintain to know that with original pumps and equivalent performance they work fine.

Similarly Honda Z1 ATF used to be said to be 'the' only ATF that should be used too. Turns out it was nothing special, sheared quickly. Also in my observation one of the most complained about ATFs on this sub forum. Since Z1 superseded I've used MaxLife almost exclusively on two Hondas specing it including a V6, 150k+ miles between them on ML working great. Similar to PSFs noted, ML significant savings to Honda.

As often said, to each their own.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Prestone Honda power steering fluid has been discontinued, so you can only get it while supplies last........

Update. I had WM notify set up for when Prestone Honda/Acura PSF back in stock, it's back available for online order store pick up. I grabbed 4 bottles, picked up today. Didn't want to post until I had it in hand, ordered 4/8. Looks like I'll be doing some turkey baster d&fs. I know PS line method preferable, but doing it alone turkey baster works for me. Surprised and happy Prestone H/A PSF seems back available. Perhaps it's going to be like MaxLife, if nothing else, available for WM store pick up with online order.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Honda-Power-Steering-Fluid/20850664

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back