My favourite multidriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: I've always been the guy who doesn't like multi-drivers - cheap substandard plastic screwdrivers with a hollow handle with a whole bunch of soft or brittle or rust-prone metal bits that I lose.

However, 15 or 20 years ago I saw these at Canadian Tire and bought a couple. Still going strong. I don't use them on cars, but keep one in the house and one in tne bike tool bag.

Here it is with all four 'bits' retracted:

Here's the end, hard to read in this photo. It says "DURA-DRIVE" and "MADE IN UK".

Here are all four legs extended, for demonstration only. There's a medium-sized blade, a medium-sized Phillips, a Robertson #1, and a Robertson #2. (May have been manufactured specifically for the Canadian market, with Robertson screws being very popular here.)

Here's the Phillips extended:

Here's how it's held in place while in use:

Ingenious, I wish they were still available, perhaps in sets of three or four with different ends available.

You bet Canadian market only if it has both robbies.

Oh, the old days when Canadian tire sold quality tools. Did you know Gray made mastercraft wrenches once upon a time?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Great design. It looks well used. The handle must be made of tough stuff for the tension pins to not break out after 20 years of use.

Agreed, I have an Allen (hex) key multidriver of similar design, and broke the largest (8 mm) arm when I put too much force on it. If you can break it by hand, it's underbuilt.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
You bet Canadian market only if it has both robbies.

Oh, the old days when Canadian tire sold quality tools. Did you know Gray made mastercraft wrenches once upon a time?

I wonder if they put different arms in for different markets. I would love to have one of four Phillips, one of four Robbies, one of four blades.

Actually, with the demise of Sears I have bought a few tools from Canadian Tire. Princess Auto's PowerFist line is pretty low-end, but their ProPoint tools are pretty good.

I used to be that guy too until a buddy left a MEGAPRO with me. Now I can't imagine not having one.

I have one from Klein, its looks like it came from a dollar store on sale but its good quality despite the .10c rubber handle cover.

I've never had one that I really liked, but I've never had a half decent one, just cheap ones. I might have to try out a Megapro or Klein (or something else that costs more than $3).

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Klein tools are very well regarded in the electrical trades. Still made in the US as far as I know.

It is is USA made but that rubber handle cover still blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back