2014 F250 6.7L, Amsoil SS 5w40, 3.7% fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two reports below that analyzed the same oil, Amsoil SS 5w40 from my F250 6.7L.

In the Blackstone report, left column is Amsoil SS 5w40, far two right columns are Rotella T6 5w40, and the other column 1/28/18 is Red Line 15w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Do you idle a lot?

This OCI had very few short trips, and no extended idling.

I would ignore the fuel. The oil is doing its job irrespective of the dilution. Keep on chuggin.

Is this the Amsoil DEO 5W40, the new Sig Series Diesel Oil? If so, virgin viscosity is around 15.4, and your sample is 12.4... which is a 20% loss in viscosity. I'm no dilution expert, but some rough math on super thin diesel fuel (2.0cSt@100*C) shows your viscosity should have been around 14.9 with 3.7% fuel. This oil must really shear down in your application?

3.7% of 13 quarts- That's nearly half a quart of diesel in your oil... did the level on the dipstick show above your fill point before you drained it?

I agree with the posters above-need to watch your oil levels closely, you might have an injector sticking open. I think I would be changing oil a little more often, maybe with a less expensive oil-but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Is this the Amsoil DEO 5W40, the new Sig Series Diesel Oil? If so, virgin viscosity is around 15.4, and your sample is 12.4... which is a 20% loss in viscosity. I'm no dilution expert, but some rough math on super thin diesel fuel (2.0cSt@100*C) shows your viscosity should have been around 14.9 with 3.7% fuel. This oil must really shear down in your application?

3.7% of 13 quarts- That's nearly half a quart of diesel in your oil... did the level on the dipstick show above your fill point before you drained it?

VOA for this oil is here. 14.5 viscosity per VOA.

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads...eri#Post4659791

I'm a little confused. You have two reports from the same oil at the same time? In other words both reports were March 22, 2018 and yet one reports much higher fuel that the other?

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I'm a little confused. You have two reports from the same oil at the same time? In other words both reports were March 22, 2018 and yet one reports much higher fuel that the other?

Yes. As has been discussed here many, many times, Blackstone’s method for determining fuel dilution is essentially worthless and seems to consistently underestimate contamination. Oil Alayzers uses gas chromatography, which is much more reliable.

There have been a number of examples here where the same sample was sent to Blackstone and OAI and Blackstone is much lower.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Yes. As has been discussed here many, many times, Blackstone’s method for determining fuel dilution is essentially worthless and seems to consistently underestimate contamination. Oil Alayzers uses gas chromatography, which is much more reliable.

There have been a number of examples here where the same sample was sent to Blackstone and OAI and Blackstone is much lower.

Thanks for explaining that. I don't usually spend much time in the UOA section, but this one just happen to catch my eye in the recent topics but I have often wondered about the accuracy of these reports. Part of my point was people were mentioning the fuel dilution and not even questioning which report was accurate.

So all the UOA's that are from Blackstone could be considered invalid data - in so far as the fuel dilution is concerned? Interesting!

Have your injector pulse width rates checked, you most likely have an injector out of balance with a high return rate. Unfortunately it means replacing an injector, its the down fall of the botch/Bosch common rail fuel injection system. Sorry, some of mine are out too.

There is an app for your phone, and you can buy an obd2 adaptor if you don't have a programmer. You can then read all perimeters and sensors of your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back