80s Beater Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be collecting them. I just drove my '88 GMC on a 3-hour trip to pickup an '86 Ranger. It towed very well, even if it was a bit slow.
The Ranger needs a clutch because it doesn't move, but the engine sounds great. I'll be working on it next week. It's a bare bones base model, carbureted 2.0. Just how I like it.

20180330_182358.jpg

your ‘88 looks great minus the paint scheme. Awesome that it made a three hour trip without issues.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
your ‘88 looks great minus the paint scheme. Awesome that it made a three hour trip without issues.

Thanks. The paint is one of the few things that I haven't fixed. I'm a mechanic, not an artist.

I have a 1986 F350 dually 6.9 diesel that has never really seen proper maintenance... yet it just won't die.

My other dually is a 1995 K3500 Chevy 7.4/454 with almost 300,000 miles - it's been run on 15W-40 tractor oil it's whole life.

Wow, a 2.0 is REALLY bare bones and very rare these days. You do know it has like 70 or 80 HP right?

It is a Lima though, very simple. Good as an around town beater.

Great candidate for a 5.0 swap.

Cool project whatever you decide. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
Hah, that picture is weirding me out. Up here both would be rotted out almost to the point of no recognition. Super jealous of clean Southern vehicles! My dad had an '86 Ranger he swapped a 302 into and later a 351W. Fun little truck.

Your '88 looks like my '93 C3500-at least all your paint still seems to be attached!
smirk.gif

Those Rangers are simple, bare bones trucks-they make good beaters, but they can't haul much weight. Like the old early 4 cylinder S-10s.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Your '88 looks like my '93 C3500-at least all your paint still seems to be attached!
smirk.gif

Those Rangers are simple, bare bones trucks-they make good beaters, but they can't haul much weight. Like the old early 4 cylinder S-10s.

The picture is deceiving due to the lighting. My GMC has what they call "patina". The paint on your truck looks much better!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Wow, a 2.0 is REALLY bare bones and very rare these days. You do know it has like 70 or 80 HP right?

It is a Lima though, very simple. Good as an around town beater.

Great candidate for a 5.0 swap.

Cool project whatever you decide. Keep us updated.

I hear that a Weber carb will free up another 10-20 hp or something, plus get rid of that mess of emissions junk. Either one of these trucks could end up with a V8. We'll see.

Sounds like a fun project. I had an 86' Ranger 2.9L when I was 16 for a short while. It was my grandpa's go-to-the-dump-truck. Transmission was slipping and it ran on 5 cylinders. I put some newer Explorer pickup wheels on it.

I love clean older trucks. I recently picked up one not as old as yours, but I still enjoy it. V8, 5-speed, 4x4. I'm not afraid to use it like a TRUCK! First day I had it I dented it and took it off road in 4-LO. I love it.

1985 M1009, very slowly restoring from the inside out, for now it's the closest we have to an old beater, mainly used to haul things and plow the driveway. Has 12VDC conversion and gas 350.

full-7765-18287-img_08491.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: methusaleh
1985 M1009, very slowly restoring from the inside out, for now it's the closest we have to an old beater, mainly used to haul things and plow the driveway. Has 12VDC conversion and gas 350.

full-7765-18287-img_08491.jpg

I love those things, especially with the solid front axle, but they are all out of my budget. I really, really want to get my hands on an M35 someday.

My old 87 Custom Deluxe. Its a second vehicle that doesn't get many miles put on it but comes in handy when I need a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back