Mobil 80w90 synthetic gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is that? Ok, I know it doesn't exist. But a local quick oil change place claims that what they are selling, and is charging the synthetic price for differential service. I had a real confrontation with them today on that one, they ended up just giving $10 back(not enough still) but still stick by what they say. What recourse do I have to get them to stop this deceptive practice?

Call the cooperate office if they have one. Otherwise threaten to call the state attorney general for false advertising.

I sent a web mail to the corporate headquarter, only to have it given to the locations manager. I replied demanding proof of there statements and if they don't by Monday, that I will go to outside sources. Am I correct that Mobil does not make a synthetic 80w90. There other claim is that they raised the price of the conventional when they don't have it posted or a price sheet of the newest prices and there waiting room shows the wrong price.

Do they state "Mobil 80w90 synthetic gear oil" on your receipt or on a sign in the store? I would photograph that as evidence, with a link to Mobil's site showing available viscosities https://mobiloil.com/en/gear-lubricants/mobil-1-synthetic-gear-lube-ls and send an email complaint to your State Attorney General that they are charging a higher price attempting to sell a non-existant product and copy their corporate office; while asking corporate for a proper refund of the price difference (which you state you did not receive).

Have fun!!

I never took a picture of there sign and trying to find the price sheet that I had. Hopefully I can find. Otherwise, I might be screwed on the price. But I have the receipt that clearly shows the charge.

Originally Posted By: NH73
What is that? Ok, I know it doesn't exist. But a local quick oil change place claims that what they are selling, and is charging the synthetic price for differential service.

What exactly was their advertising language and what agreement on service did you make with the service writer?

Is this the exact product they used:

https://mobiloil.com/en/gear-lubricants/mobilube-hd-plus

I had a real confrontation with them today on that one, they ended up just giving $10 back(not enough still) but still stick by what they say. What recourse do I have to get them to stop this deceptive practice?

Buy a hamburger with your refund and don't go back.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
What is that? Ok, I know it doesn't exist. But a local quick oil change place claims that what they are selling, and is charging the synthetic price for differential service.

What exactly was their advertising language and what agreement on service did you make with the service writer?

Is this the exact product they used:

https://mobiloil.com/en/gear-lubricants/mobilube-hd-plus

I had a real confrontation with them today on that one, they ended up just giving $10 back(not enough still) but still stick by what they say. What recourse do I have to get them to stop this deceptive practice?

Buy a hamburger with your refund and don't go back.

That is the only 80w90 I saw Mobil has. So I assume that is what they used. Yeah, I can choose to not go back, but I want to do this for the other 90% that would not be aware of this. This is just not right for them to continue this business practice.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
In every brand I can think of, 80w90 is conventional, and 75w90 is synthetic.

Amsoil makes a synthetic 80w90; (Posted only for enhanced knowledge.)

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
In every brand I can think of, 80w90 is conventional, and 75w90 is synthetic.

Amsoil makes a synthetic 80w90; (Posted only for enhanced knowledge.)
I didn't know the best way to say that, so I just wrote it that way. If I said, every major brand, then someone might have showed an example that I wasn't aware of. I knew Amsoil did make one, but if I said except Amsoil, someone else would add in another brand that does as well. So I just wrote in a way that I allowed it to be refuted.

But the bottom line is, no one showed me an Mobil 80w90 synthetic gear oil and there web page doesn't show one either yet.

Last edited:
What is that? Ok, I know it doesn't exist. But a local quick oil change place claims that what they are selling, and is charging the synthetic price for differential service. I had a real confrontation with them today on that one, they ended up just giving $10 back(not enough still) but still stick by what they say. What recourse do I have to get them to stop this deceptive practice?

Your better off finding a good ASE certified shop to bring your businesses to and moving on.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Toto

Your better off finding a good ASE certified shop to bring your businesses to and moving on.
TOTO.
Just looked and according to there store finder, there not a one in our county. Not going to drive that far for one. So who would say they are honest? Back the issue, on Monday, they got back to me and told me, there tech filled both differentials with 75w90 and apologized for the miscommunication. They told me they haven't gotten 80w80 in years. They told me that they would just refill with Motorcraft 80w90 and refund me fully. I decided to let the Mobil 1 75w90 in both cases.

You'll be fine with the Mobil 1, it's a very well respected GEAR lube, no ASE shop "wow" that's hard to believe, in my area there are so many to choose from, I was not having luck at one shop and found a great honest ASE certified shop and could not be happier.
TOTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back