Pennzoil Plat Hi-Mile Synth 5W-30, 07 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd sample from my '07 4Runner 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 with 179K miles, getting ready to replace the stretched timing chain and related components this Summer. It had a horrible oil change history under the original owner, with OCIs in the 20-25K mile average range and some past 30K miles. One tough engine and hopefully the internals are de-sludging nicely...we'll find out when we open it up to do the chains/sprockets/rails/tensioners.

The PZ jug has no Dexos markings, which accounts for the usual 2,000ppm Ca rather than the reduced quantity found in D1G2 versions. No LubeGard Bio added this fill, so the Moly # is what was in the PP and whatever little remained from the prior fill w/ AZO and 15oz LubeGard.

Working on a 13" screen here...let's try blowing up the numeric section a bit.

Amzoil SS run for 3K miles? WOW!.

If the point was to clean out the inside, go with a know good cleaning oil that is cheap. Be careful cleaning an older engine like that because the sludge may be stopping the leaks. If you pour in some magic cleaner and dissolve all the sludge you might have seals leaking everywhere.

The engine doesn't need to be squeaky clean to run for 200+k miles. Just not plugged up enough to block oil passages.

Any Walmart name brand oil will do.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Much better. Looks like the PPHM actually outperformed the AZO fairly handily! I'm sure at a much nicer price as well!

That's what I thought as well, another low metal wear count from Pennzoil.
cheers3.gif

I determined the chain was stretched while troubleshooting a recurring P0016 error code, finding approximately 6-8 degrees of retard at the #1 intake cam when the crank was at TDC zero mark. Also found the #1 chain tensioner over-extended as shown in the pic below.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Amzoil SS run for 3K miles? WOW!.

If the point was to clean out the inside, go with a know good cleaning oil that is cheap. Be careful cleaning an older engine like that because the sludge may be stopping the leaks. If you pour in some magic cleaner and dissolve all the sludge you might have seals leaking everywhere.

The engine doesn't need to be squeaky clean to run for 200+k miles. Just not plugged up enough to block oil passages.

Any Walmart name brand oil will do.

Agreed, the AZO had been on my shelf since 2013 timeframe and there's no other vehicle in my fleet I wanted to use it in...seemed like a great option for Winter. It was jet-black and with visible flecks of sludge on the dipstick when I decided to change it early.

Also agreed on engine flush "magic cleaner" and I avoid these. Just high-calcium Pennzoil/Quaker with lots of moly on board and shortened OCIs.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Originally Posted By: crainholio
I determined the chain was stretched while troubleshooting a recurring P0016 error code, finding approximately 6-8 degrees of retard at the #1 intake cam when the crank was at TDC zero mark. Also found the #1 chain tensioner over-extended as shown in the pic below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back