Permatex Super Glue Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gluing an earbud that came apart with Permatex Super Glue and used a qtip to apply it around the edge . The qtip started smoking to the point where smoke got into my eye . Very strange as this never happened with regular crazy glue in the past

I threw it in the sink and it was still smoking until I ran some water over it . Is there any chance the copper wire inside the earbud interacted with the cotton tip soaked in the glue ?

No major incident, just got a good chuckle out of it .

CA adhesives+cotton(and a lot of other natural fibers) give a VERY exothermic reaction. Therein lies your problem.

Read the directions? I admit I burned a hole in the arm of my recliner years ago trying to fix a pair of glasses.

If you must use some sort of applicator, I suggest a needle or straight pin. That's especially true for the fairly viscous "traditional" CA adhesives.

The glue has enough surface tension that it will hold nicely to a needle tip, but when you touch it to a joint(such as on the ear buds) capillary action should draw it in.

Of course, you need to work fairly quickly so that the glue doesn't cure, but most CAs give you at least a minute or two of working time.

BTW, I have used old watch oilers before for this purpose. A watch oiler IS ideal since the tip is specifically designed to work as I've described(retain fluids-generally oil-by surface tension and then disperse it by capillary action when touched to jewel or other surface meant to be oiled) and have a convenient handle. Watch oilers have a "spade" shaped tip, which you can put on a needle or pin with a bit of work.

I could not read the directions without a microscope lol . There was probably some part that had the classic " wear safety goggles" .

A needle would have been a better applicator for sure . I kind of went by the old bonds any surface marketing and did not consider any possibility of a reaction .

Joegreene it burned and to boot I got Tilex Spray in both eyes earlier this morning I think it is time to break out the weedwacker goggles .
grin.gif

I've never heard of this. I would have guessed the plastic from the ear bud having a reaction.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
If you must use some sort of applicator, I suggest a needle or straight pin. That's especially true for the fairly viscous "traditional" CA adhesives.

The glue has enough surface tension that it will hold nicely to a needle tip, but when you touch it to a joint(such as on the ear buds) capillary action should draw it in.

Of course, you need to work fairly quickly so that the glue doesn't cure, but most CAs give you at least a minute or two of working time.

BTW, I have used old watch oilers before for this purpose. A watch oiler IS ideal since the tip is specifically designed to work as I've described(retain fluids-generally oil-by surface tension and then disperse it by capillary action when touched to jewel or other surface meant to be oiled) and have a convenient handle. Watch oilers have a "spade" shaped tip, which you can put on a needle or pin with a bit of work.

And you can make your own watch oiler. I've done this many times for a applying a small amount of oil or adhesive to a delicate joint. Take a short length of single-strand wire, about 20 AWG works well. Loop one end for a handle. Lay the other end on the flat surface of a vise and hit just the tip of the wire with a hammer. The wire tip squishes out nicely, forming a spade tip that serves as a watch oiler.

It's definitely a good one to have in your bag of tricks for delicate work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back